Friday, December 15, 2017

Psalm 52 - "Carry Me"


There was not much sleep last night but a whole lot of praying and pondering. I kept going over the words to Josh Wilson's song "Carry Me" as I prayed. I wondered how many people at the concert last night were going through tough times. As he sang this song I prayed for those there that needed encouraged.

Carry me, carry me, carry me now
From my sinking sand to Your solid ground
The only way I'm ever gonna make it out
Is if You carry me, carry me, carry me now
God carry me, carry me, carry me now

There are so many people I'm praying for that are in some tough situations. Some are because of their own actions, others not. Some don't even realize they are the cause of their issues. Some can see no end in sight with their situation. Some are in relationship with God, some are pretending to be, and some blatantly don't want anything to do with Him. No matter where they are in relationship with Him I will continue to pray for their situations and most importantly for their souls.
  • The families of two wives/mothers who committed suicide this week.
  • Jeremy's family who are dealing with legal proceedings with the man who hit and killed him.
  • A family at odds with one another.
  • A young lady who is seeking God yet still doing a lot of pretending in life.
  • A young mother struggling to make ends meet.
  • Our friend Carl who had an emergency heart cath with stents last night..
  • One who is unhappy with life and blaming others for their unhappiness.
  • Two elderly widows who are feeling very alone.
  • One who continues with intense pain.
This morning the Lord took me to Psalm 52. This Psalm encourages my heart in so many ways. The first few verses are about the destruction that occurs when people are against God and/or the church. The last few verses are the ones of greatest encouragement to me. They are the ones that describe a person who stands firm in their faith. Verse eight describes such a person as being like an olive tree. I was amazed at the olive trees when we were in Israel. There were some pretty huge ones that had survived hundreds of years. They had to be strong to survive so long and still produce fruit. I like how Matthew Henry describes people who are strong in the Lord...

Those who by faith and love dwell in the house of God, shall be like green olive-trees there. And that we may be as green olive-trees, we must live a life of faith and holy confidence in God and his grace. It adds much to the beauty of our profession, and to fruitfulness in every grace, to be much in praising God; and we never can want matter for praise. His name alone can be our refuge and strong tower. It is very good for us to wait on that saving name; there is nothing better to calm and quiet our spirits, when disturbed, and to keep us in the way of duty, when tempted to use any crooked courses for our relief, than to hope, and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord. None ever followed his guidance but it ended well.

That last statement blows me away. "None ever followed his guidance but it ended well." Yes! No matter what happens in life, when God is in control, the best possible ending will happen. He sees all and knows all. He has our best interests in mind at all times. We need to praise Him at all times. This includes, maybe even is especially, when going through tough times. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for our date night! Thank You for loving us so greatly that You provided it for us. I pray for the ones at the concert last night who needed to feel You carrying them through their current circumstances. I pray for everyone I prayed for throughout the night. Lord, open eyes that need opened to You and Your plan for their life. I pray against anyone manipulating their circumstances to fit their desires. Lord, cleanse me and fill me so people will see/hear You instead of me today. I pray for recollection and wisdom as I take my final exam today. May Your clarity be mine. I also pray for Doc who had a tough night physically. I continue to pray for a healing in his body and ask for Your supernatural strength to be his today. Thank You Jesus for being The One I Praise. Amen.

No comments: