Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Psalm 40:1-3 - "It's A Beautiful Day"



The Lord took me to bed with the same song He woke me up with yesterday. "It's A Beautiful Day." For the first hour after going to bed and then throughout the night He woke me to pray for people who are depressed. This morning I had a message from a friend asking for help because she is depressed. I did not know she was suffering through it and was touched by the Lord having me pray even before I knew. Some of my prayers were for specific people who I knew are struggling but some were general prayers for others going through tough times. 'Wow, God!' was my first thought as I read her message. Depression can rear it's ugly head in believers and non-believers. When the enemy gets a foothold in one who is dealing with depression, it gets worse and can lead to harming oneself. In the last week I have been asked to pray for the families of two middle school boys and two mothers who took their own lives. I don't know their circumstances but I do know all four were in relationship with the Lord. That is hard to comprehend but with being someone who has struggled with depression in the past I know it can happen. Due to medication I have dealt with it from time to time. It is not fun. I remember asking myself, "How can I be a Christian and be depressed? Have I lost my faith?" God reassured me I was still His daughter, He loved me, and He would empower me to get through the awful time. Some people's depression is caused by circumstances while others are depressed due to a chemical imbalance in their body. No matter what the reason depression happens, I always encourage people to seek God as to who they talk to. People, even believers, can give 'bad' advice if they do not seek God before opening their mouth. Throughout the night that was one of the things the Lord had me pray for...those depressed to seek godly people to talk to. Another thing was for people to not be alone but instead to surround themselves with others. A third thing I pray for is for people to be sensitive to people in their little world who may show signs of depression. When people start retreating from others, that can be a sign they are feeling depressed. If they start missing activities, church, socials, or even work, they may be depressed. Loss of or gaining weight quickly can be another sign of depression. Being in a group yet not actually 'being there' is another sign. I have to wonder if the four suicides could have been prevented had someone recognized there was an issue and talked with them or encouraged them to talk with someone. I am praying for some who God has laid on my heart to find Him in a different, new way today. I pray they will know He is there for them. I pray they would come across Psalm 40:1-3 and believe it as I do. I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.”

  • one who lost their job
  • a pastor who announced a surprise thirty day leave from the pulpit Sunday
  • one with extreme financial difficulties
  • one separated from their spouse
  • one who will not forgive someone from something that happened years ago
  • two dealing with awful physical pain
  • one feeling very alone during this holiday season
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the privilege to pray for many who are dealing with depression. Thank You for using me as a prayer warrior. Lord, there was little sleep again last night but I know You will empower me with Your supernatural strength throughout this day. I pray You will be with me as I meet with this one who has reached out to me. Lord, I pray for a cleansing in my spirit of anything that is not of You so that Your words and love ooze out of me in a way that will soothe her soul. I also pray this morning for my Momma and Uncle Buddy's family as he appears to be close to the end of life. May You be so very close to them. Lord, thank You for the fun last night as I gathered with the ladies for a time of study and fellowship. Thank You for the blessing of being here yesterday afternoon for Amy and the boys. Thank You for the blessing with the savings on the ham. You bless in abundance over and over again. Today is a new day. I pray healing blessings upon Doc. I also pray for spiritual blessings upon us with children and teen activities tonight as we celebrate Your birth. I pray specifically for there to be change in hearts as the Christmas story is read. Yes, it will be a 'beautiful day' because You are in control! Thank You Jesus for being My Hope! Amen.

No comments: