Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Matthew 12:36-37 - "Words"


This morning as I was reading Matthew 12 the Lord stopped me at verses thirty-six and thirty-seven. As I read these verses, I started thinking about how many times 'empty words' have left my mouth. I am not exactly sure what all are considered 'empty words' but I believe they are words that have no meaning, words that lift up neither myself or the person hearing them, words that are nasty which would not only be cuss words but words that speak death instead of life...the list is quite extensive. God, forgive me for all of the times any of these type of situations occurred in me. When I don't feel good, my words get short and curt. Not feeling good is not an excuse for such behavior. I like how Matthew Henry describes words.

"The heart is the fountain, words are the streams. A troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring, must send forth muddy and unpleasant streams. Nothing but the salt of grace, cast into the spring, will heal the waters, season the speech, and purify the corrupt communication. An evil man has an evil treasure in his heart, and out of it brings forth evil things. Lusts and corruptions, dwelling and reigning in the heart, are an evil treasure, out of which the sinner brings forth bad words and actions, to dishonour God, and hurt others. Let us keep constant watch over ourselves, that we may speak words agreeable to the Christian character."

Yes! We must be speaking words of life in order to be speaking as the Lord desires. We must think before we speak. That is not always possible so instead we must live in the Spirit so He will be our words. That is only possible when we surrender to Him. Many do not want to give up their wants and desires to live for Him. That saddens me because if people would only realize His desires for us are so much greater than anything we could ever desire for ourselves.

Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You


Dear Jesus,
I pray these words for not just today but for all of the rest of the days of my life on this earth. I pray You will be glorified through my words and actions. I pray You will be greater in me so my words, actions and attitude will be Yours. Cleanse my tongue when words of death begin to come out of me. Purify my words so people will hear You through me. Thank You Father for being My Words. Amen.

Matth

No comments: