Saturday, August 13, 2016

Matthew 11:28-30 - "Come As You Are"

The promise of rest from Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30 are some of the sweetest words of His we read. The 'rest' He is talking about is not a physical rest but a spiritual rest. This world can be tough. There are so many things the enemy tries to do to pull believers away from the Lord. He gets one little foothold into a life and that is all it takes to play havoc. The enemy uses people to cause unrest in believers. The Lord also allows havoc in people's lives in order to grow our faith. He will allow sickness, turmoil, etc. to see what our reaction will be to it. Will we give the enemy a foothold or will we seek a deeper walk with the Lord? Will we accept the Lord's 'rest' or will we wallow in the 'junk' of the world? Will we blame others for decisions we have made or will we seek the Lord's will in our circumstances? These all are questions one must ask when going through difficult times. A step toward the Lord is the answer. Accepting His love, grace and mercy will empower one to bask in His 'rest'. But first one must submit to His will. This is where many struggle in their flesh. They try to take care of themselves. Many will fight what the Lord tells them because of the dying to self that must occur. In order to receive His 'rest' one must completely surrender to His will. If that step is not taken, 'rest' will not be found for any length of time. He may allow one to see a glimpse of 'rest' but it will not last. The promise of 'rest' in these verses is only for those who will not only believe in Him but will surrender to Him.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder this morning of Your 'rest'! Thank You for reminding me of the promises You give us in these verses. Thank You for loving me so much. You are so awesome, Lord. I am in awe of all the ways You show Your love to me. Father, I pray for more of You to ooze out of me today. I pray You will be in my words, my actions and my attitude. Give clear direction on what You desire of me. Thank You Father for being My Rest. Amen.

No comments: