Tuesday, August 2, 2016

II Timothy 1:7 - "Good, Good Father"


I went to bed praying for a friend who is in a serious situation. At 1:42 the Lord woke me and I felt an urgency to pray for protection over her spiritual being. There were three more times He woke me to pray. When I woke up this morning, I started thinking about prayer. Why, when He knows all, does He have me to pray for someone? What good are my prayers? Are my prayers going to change the situation? These are all questions to ponder when thinking of prayer. I believe prayer is not so much about the person or situation one is praying for but instead is about the one praying. God wants our obedience. He wants to see if we are willing to pray in the middle of the night. He wants to see if we are willing to be persistent in praying or if we will give up. He wants to see if we are willing to pray with strangers. When Jesus went out to the Garden to be alone to pray, He was not deterred by the actions of the disciples. When Jesus was tempted, He did not give in but rather He drew closer to His Father. He is the example we must follow. As I think about where I am in life and the things I am praying for, I must be persistent in not giving up praying....not because of what I want but because of what the Lord can and will do in me through my prayers. There are some things I am sure of...

  • He will draw me deeper as I seek more of Him. 
  • He will reveal great things as I listen to His voice. 
  • He will comfort me in times of turmoil as I wait on Him. 
  • He will guide me in the unknown things of life as I surrender more and more to Him.
Woo hoo! Yes! Glory! It is exciting to know I am not in this alone but rather He is the One in control. All I have to do is be willing to live a life surrendered to Him. Sometimes that is easier said than done but oh my, the blessings are so great when this is accomplished! I am amazed at all He has accomplished as I reflect back on the last year of my life. The places He has taken me have been beyond my imagination. The people He has put in my path all had a part in my relationship with Him. This path of our journey is different but I know He is with us. The unknowns can cause fear but I am standing on II Timothy 1:7 in knowing He is empowering us with His love to accomplish His will. The desire of His heart is for obedience in our hearts. When the doubts begin, we must not be tempted but follow His example in drawing closer to our Heavenly Father. We must allow Him to be our Comfort and our Guide throughout the days of longing for our loved ones or days of longing for our old 'normal'. We must seek His will in order to have a new 'normal'.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving me so greatly! Thank You for Your mercy and grace that enables me to continue on even when I struggle. Thank You for requiring my obedience. Lord, You are so awesome in the ways You care for us. You are so wonderful in giving us what we need, exactly when we need it. Father, once again I pray for protection over my friend. I pray You will enable her to be strong in You throughout these tough days. Draw her closer to You. I wish I were there with her but know that is not possible. Would You put a strong believer there for her? I also pray for the day ahead and ask Your blessing upon it. I pray You will direct my thoughts with school and my actions with ministry today. May You be my words and feet. Father, thank You for being My Heavenly Father! Amen.

No comments: