Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Matthew 10:24; Luke 12:49-53 - "Good, Good Father"

When Jesus was sending out the twelve in Matthew ten, He made a statement that was one I stopped to ponder on...



These are the words of Jesus. As I read them, I questioned why He would say He didn't "...come to bring peach to the earth." I also questioned what He meant by "...a sword." After doing some research I found the Jews found peace in temporal things. Jesus was trying to make them (and us) realize He desires our obedience to Him. The things of this world will not get us to spend eternity with Him. Our surrender to being obedient to Him is the key to eternity. The next couple verses after this one tells us family members will turn against one another. This is not because the enemy is making them do so. It is because the Lord is showing us how we, as true believers, need to take a stand for Him. This may mean 'losing' loved ones but 'losing' them temporarily on this earth would be a lot better than 'losing' them permanently to hell. We must not compromise our values just to accommodate how friends and family feel. We must stand on His Word and love with His love. This may be very difficult if a family member is dealing with an addiction. But we must love them with a tough love that encourages them into a relationship with Him. He did not put us on this earth to save anyone. He put us on this earth to love with His love and to allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through us. The "sword" He speaks of is what He will use to cut off those who are disobedient. In Luke 12, He speaks of division instead of peace....

49 “I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! 50 I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! 51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the pondering of this morning! Thank You for the way You bring to light new meaning from Your Word! Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace! Father, You are so good! Oh how I pray for more people to come to that realization. I pray for more people to come to the knowledge that You desire to be the King of Kings and Lord of Lords of their life. I pray for more believers to go deeper with You to the point of surrendering all. I pray for more of You in me so that You will ooze out of my words, actions and attitudes. Fill me to overflowing with You, Father. Thank You Father for being My Good, Good Father. Amen.

No comments: