Friday, August 28, 2015

Psalm 107:10-14 - "Break Every Chain"


The Lord woke me up this morning with an urgency to pray for the ladies at our Teen Challenge facility. I was trying to remember if this is the time one of them is leaving but not sure. He told me to pray for protection over them. He reminded me they are in a controlled setting as long as they are here but once they leave they go back into the temptations of their old world. They have been made new in Christ and have His strength. He encouraged me to pray for them to remember that fact. As I prayed I kept hearing them singing at the church and at Hopefest. My favorite song they sing is "Redeemed." The words take on a whole new meaning as they sing.

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be
I am redeemed, I'm redeemed


Amen! When we accept the Lord and allow Him to be our Savior, we are no longer the same person. We are made new! We have freedom in Christ! We have power over darkness! When we allow Him to be our Lord instead of something or someone else, we will no longer be in chains to that thing/person. I was reading ten steps to having freedom in Christ...
 1. Turn To Jesus!
 2. Spend Time With God Daily 
 3. Choose Your Allies
 4. Count The Consequences 
 5. Identify Your Triggers 
 6. "HALT" (don't allow yourself to get hungry, angry, lonely or tired)
 7. Dig Out The Roots (deal with the hurts of the past in order to go forward)
 8. Take Authority Over Your Eyes (don't allow impure images to be a part of life)
 9. Grow In God’s Word 
10. Pray Continually
It sounds so easy yet is one of the hardest things to do. First, one must want to change. Second, one must be willing to having a changed identity. I was reminded yesterday from one battling alcoholism of how his old friends are no longer around as he struggles to stay sober. It is a huge change when one breaks an addiction. It changes who you are around, your life style, your finances...every aspect of your life. But on the upside Jesus is right there to be your strength.

I am reminded of a song Jesus Culture sings...

There is power in the name of Jesus 
There is power in the name of Jesus
There is power in the name of Jesus

To break every chain 
Break every chain
Break every chain


Yes! His name is powerful! His name will break the chain of addiction! His name will stop you before giving into addiction. His name is more powerful than any other name on this earth. His name will enable you to stand against the enemy when he comes knocking at your door. His name. Plain and simple. He is always there, ready to enable us to stand in His grace and mercy.

I was reminded this morning of people who are caught up in chains in Psalm 107:10-14...
10 Some sat in darkness, in utter darkness,
    prisoners suffering in iron chains,
11 because they rebelled against God’s commands
    and despised the plans of the Most High.
12 So he subjected them to bitter labor;
    they stumbled, and there was no one to help.
13 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
14 He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness,
    and broke away their chains.
When we call upon Him, He will deliver us. But oh my, it is so hard to get the point of being at the end of self and allowing Him to be our Savior. It seems like whatever we are addicted to is better than allowing the Lord into our lives. When it comes right down to it our addiction will not be with us for eternity in heaven but it could take us to eternity in hell. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for empowering me to stand up against the things the enemy throws my way. Thank You for loving me in such a way that You are always there for me. Father, this morning I pray for the ladies at Teen Challenge. I pray for them to be reminded of Your love, grace and mercy today. Lord, touch them in a mighty way. Father, if one has completed the program or is close to it, I pray You will enable her to stay strong as she goes back into the world. Lord, I also pray for the man who has made the decision to go into treatment. I pray You will give him the strength to make the call this morning. More importantly I pray for him to come into relationship with You. I also pray for the man struggling with feeling like he has no friends since he has taken the step to sobriety. Lord, he needs to feel loved by You in a mighty way. Father, this morning You also bring to my mind another man who is so far in the trenches of alcoholism and needs You so badly. I pray for someone to be put in his path who will make a difference in his life. Father, the lady who is living in darkness needs to find her way back to You. Lord, I am a bit overwhelmed with these ones You have given me to pray for. I am not in physical contact with any of them but yet I know as You told me yesterday my prayers are their prayers. They are not in relationship with You in order to even know how to pray. Lord, bless my efforts. Fill me with more of You and less of me in order that I may be the servant You so desire of me. Thank You Jesus for being My Addiction. Amen.


No comments: