Sunday, August 30, 2015

Matthew 4:19; 28:18-20; Romans 1:16 - "Lift Me Up"


I had a last-minute opportunity to fill the pulpit this morning. I was blessed with knowing a friend was praying for me to have physical strength to do this. I was also blessed with a reminder from her of a song The Afters sing called "Lift Me Up." 

Lift me up when I am weak
Your arms wrap around me
Your love catches me so I'm letting go
You lift me up when I can't see
Your heart is all that I need
Your love carries me so I'm letting go


This afternoon she checked to see how things went. She blessed me with these words..."I know God used you to minister to your congregation in an amazing way." Four people were at the altar at the end of the service...what a blessing! I pray for each one of them to remember these words that I shared...

The Words of Jesus in Matthew 4:19 were spoken to Peter and Andrew on the Sea of Galilee. What exactly does "fishers of men" mean? I don't know much about fishing but I do know you have to have the right equipment, be at the right place, etc. to be successful. The same can be said as we are fishers of men.

God asks us in Matthew 28:18-20 to make disciples of all nations. 

Before we can be fishers of men to all nations we must be equipped. In Ephesians 6 we are told about the full armor of God. There are two pieces of armor that are a must in order to be fishers of men.

  • Shield of Faith will enable us to stand against the enemy
  • Sword of the Spirit (God's Word) will direct us
Before we can be fishers of men to all nations we must know who we are trying to attract. When we are in a right relationship with the Lord, through prayer the Lord will direct us as to who we need to be Him to. 

When we are fishers of men to all nations, we must use the "right bait" which is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have power in Him. Romans 1:16 reads, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes, first the Jews, then the Gentiles.

Jesus message to Peter and Andrew is the same to us today as it was to them years ago. Follow me...learn of me...know and understand My mission and My message.

If you are willing to become a fisher of men or perhaps become better at the process, talk to the Lord. One-on-one. We all need to grow in Christ in order to be what He desires of us.




No comments: