Monday, August 17, 2015

Matthew 5:13-16 - "That Was Then, This Is Now"


Last night at Hopefest Josh Wilson was talking about how a song he wrote called "That Was Then, This Is Now" reminded him of the girls from Teen Challenge. It was awesome hearing the girls give their testimonies and sing before he came onto the stage. Songs take on a whole new meaning when you know some of the struggles they have been through. I pray they will continue on the road of change from addiction. 

So go ahead, put the past in the past
Box it up like an old photograph 
You don't have to go back
‘Cause that was then and this is now 


These lyrics say so much for what we need to do in order to get past our past. It takes us surrendering to the Lord and allowing Him to be what we turn to instead of the alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. No matter what we have done or for how long we have done it the Lord is ready to cleanse us.

We got used to the dark
We thought this is who we are
And we figured that we were just too far gone
But we were wrong

‘Cause love came running like a river
And we got washed in the water
Then He said you're forgiven
Your sins are gone


Josh Wilson wrote, "I realized that there will always be darkness pushing me to hide. At some point, though, every Christ-follower has to realize that we carry a sacred, burning light that is infinitely more powerful than the lies of the enemy. Your light might seem small, but even the smallest act of love can illuminate the shadows."

When I read these words, I thought of Doc's sermon yesterday. He challenged us to shine brightly for the Lord throughout each and every day. How will others know we have Jesus in us if we don't shine for Him? How will they have the desire to allow Him in their heart if they don't see Him in our lives? I sure don't want to be just a flicker of a flame for the Lord. The desire of my heart is to burn brightly for Him. 

I loved the word pictures from yesterday's sermon...
"God flavors" - Matthew 5:13a "You are the salt of the earth." Doc challenged us to bring God into every conversation.
"God colors" - Matthew 5:14-16 (MSG) “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." Doc challenged us to "Keep open house; be generous..." 

As we have a high value of people that shows through our attitudes; a high commitment to people that shows through our time; a high integrity with people that shows through our character; and a high belief in people that shows potential, we will be the salt and light the Lord has put us on this earth to be. I wish more people could have heard this sermon. Hopefully it was recorded because I want to hear it again to let it sink in even deeper. 

We have to get past the darkness of our past in order to allow His light to shine through us. We have to get to the end of ourselves in order for Him to be fully in us. It can't be just a little or for just a short time. It needs to be completely and forever. I have three people that I have been and will continue to pray for this in their lives. They are so caught up in addiction to alcohol and/or drugs that they can't see any other way of life. Their families are being torn to pieces. They are going further and further into the pit of hell. BUT God is greater than addiction. He can deliver them. I just pray they get to the end of themselves before someone dies.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the wonderful concerts last night at Hopefest. Thank You for the news that the FROG Familyfest went well Saturday. What beautiful weather You blessed these events with! Thank You for Jacob and Heather's wedding and for the life they have begun. Lord, thank You for the strength You gave me for this weekend. I pray for a renewing in my physical body today as I rest. I don't want to just rest but I want to rest in You. Lord, fill me to overflowing with more of You and less of me. Make me salty...enable me to shine brightly for You. Lord, I pray people will know I am a believer. I pray they will see You in me. Thank You Jesus for being My Leader Over The Bridge. Amen.


No comments: