Friday, August 21, 2015

Hebrews 12:1-12; Ephesians 6 - "Fix My Eyes"


This morning "Fix My Eyes" was on my mind. I love the part that goes...

The things of earth are dimming
In the light of Your glory and grace
I'll set my sights upon Heaven
I'm fixing my eyes on You, on You


This reminds me of what Jim was talking about in Bible study Wednesday night. We have a choice of going with the world or with the Lord. I am reminded of an example I shared yesterday. It seems at times there is a 'good angel' sitting on one shoulder encouraging us to do what is right while on the other shoulder there is a 'bad angel' encouraging us to do what is wrong. It all comes down to a choice. The neat thing about this song is that when our focus is on Him, it is easier to do what is right. 

At times it is not the easiest thing to do what is right. These last few weeks in our Teen Sunday School Class we've been talking about peer pressure. I was thankful the lesson brought out the importance of spending time with people who do have their focus on the Lord. As I was telling the teens, peer pressure does not end when you graduate high school. It is a real thing for adults too.

I learned the lines and talked the talk 
(Everybody knows it, everybody knows it) 
But the road less traveled is hard to walk
(Everybody knows it, everybody knows) 
It takes a soldier
Who knows his orders
To walk the walk I'm supposed to walk, and


This morning I am praying for more believers to have their eyes fixed on Him. I am praying people who are causing issues in the lives of believers to realize the need for their eyes to be fixed upon the Lord. As I prayed the Lord reminded me He allows people in our lives to challenge us and to keep us close to Him. Once again I go back to praying for His will...not what I think is the right answer. 

The Lord directed me to Hebrews 12 this morning. What a blessing these words are! Verses four through thirteen talk about God's discipline upon His children. Sometimes His discipline is exactly what I just wrote about in the way He puts challenges before us.

Endure hardship as discipline.....If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. (vs 7a & 8)

Verse 11 reads...

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

We learn from our mistakes. When the Lord puts people or circumstances in our path to challenge us, we have a choice. We can either choose to keep our focus on Him or we can give into peer pressure and go the ways of the world. When we stay focused on Him through challenges, our faith will grow and we will draw closer to Him. In order to stay focused on Him, we must start our days putting on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6) to be ready for whatever comes our way. When we do this, then we will know what His will is for our day. He will reveal to us what we are to do and when we are to do it. I was sharing with one yesterday that when we do this life is so much easier. It doesn't make life perfect but it does make it easier.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders from Hebrews 12 and from this song. Thank You for loving me enough to die on the cross for me. Thank You for discipling me, even when I don't like it. Father, most of all thank You for being such a wonderful Heavenly Father. I sure do miss my Earthly Daddy these days but I know He is exactly where You want him. I also want to praise You for the biopsy results I received last night...woo hoo! Lord, the other things I am still waiting on are 'biggies' as far as the world goes but they are nothing to You. You already know the outcome and for that I am grateful. In Your time is when everything will happen and I trust You in this process. Thank You for having me in a place in my relationship with You where I am at peace in the midst of such turmoil. Lord, if it be Your will I pray my legs to have better function today. But if there is a lesson to be learned for me or someone else I accept that. Thank You for being My Focus. Amen.



No comments: