Monday, February 23, 2015

Various Scriptures - "The Potter's Hand"





I saw this quote yesterday and have been pondering on it…

Being formed into the likeness of Christ is a molding, shaping, sculpting work of the Spirit that happens as we practice the essential disciplines of the Christian life. —Harnish

I do not believe we can strive to be Christlike without having the desire in our heart to be surrendered to Him. We must be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through us in order to be Christlike. I know there are some people who have a problem with the term Christlike but there are so many scriptures that point us down the path of living a Christlike life. A key one many have issue with is Matthew 5:48. It reads, You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. 

"Perfect" is a hard word to call ourselves. But that is what we are suppose to strive for in order to be Christlike. But it isn't in the human sense of the word but rather it means to be complete or finished. In Hebrews 2:10; 5:8-9 we are told how Jesus was made perfect in the suffering He endured. The plan God had for Him was completed through His suffering. "Perfect" can also mean to be mature or grown up.  We see this definition of perfect spoken of in Philippians 3:15.

The background of Matthew 5:48 shows us how Jesus contrasted His teaching with that of the Old Testament (Matt 5:38-39). He continues on with showing us what our attitude should be in verses 40-44. In verse forty-four He tells us to love our "enemies" no matter how hard that is to do. When we live these verses out on this earth, we will live for eternity with Him. When He directed us to be perfect in verse forty-eight, He was leading us down the path of loving all just as He does. 

Ephesians 5:1 tells to to imitate God. Once again we see it is in our attitude that we need to be as He is. The verses prior to this say: Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you. It is plain and simple that our attitudes need to be the same as His. If they aren't, then we can't spend eternity with Him. As I think about this, I ponder about how one little nasty thought or attitude can ruin the day. Yet when I wake and ask the Lord for more of Him and less of me my day is filled with blessings and staying in communion with Him.

I love the words of I Peter 1:15-16, But as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, 'Be holy, for I am holy.'  It doesn't say some or part of what we do or say. It says "…all your conduct.." The Lord is holy twenty-four/seven. Therefore, my goal should be the same. In order to be holy I must have a holy attitude in order to have holy conduct. That doesn't mean a holier-than-thou attitude but it means a holy attitude in all that I do. When I have His attitude, His love will flow through me. In order for me to live a perfect life, I must adhere to Romans 12:1-2…

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You direct my thoughts. Thank You for putting the desire on my heart to be perfect in the sense of my spiritual being. Thank You for being the example I am to follow. Lord, I know the only way I can be what You desire of me is for more of You and less of me. I praise You for giving me the desires of Your heart into the desires of my heart. Father, just as "The Potter's Hand" lyrics go…"Take me and mold me, use me, fill me...I give my life to the Potter's hand...Call me, You guide me, lead me, walk beside me...I give my life to the Potter's hand." Thank You Jesus for being My Potter.  Amen.


No comments: