Thursday, February 5, 2015

Galatians 5:13-26 - Free Choice

Last night when I found out school was on a two-hour delay I started praying. Then this morning when I saw it was cancelled the Lord prompted me to pray even more. I started thinking about the children who don't have food in their homes. School breakfast and lunch is the only source of nourishment for many. For those who go to the Hope Center after school they get food too. But as I prayed the Lord led my prayers for those who are home with abusive parents too. He also had me pray for the parents who have to figure out childcare because they have to go to work. The tears started down my face as so many people are in some tough situations this morning. My heart breaks. I sit here and ask, "Why, God? Why do children have to suffer? Why does there have to be addiction, poverty, abusiveness, etc?" His answer was, "Free choice." 

I pondered on those two words for awhile. "Free choice." God gives it to all of us. Some will choose the path toward Him while others will choose the path that leads to hell. I think of Galatians 5:13-26...

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. 16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
I don't know if it's because I was at the Food Bank yesterday or why I am so emotional as I pray today. It was tough hearing the stories of people with multiple health problems, disabled children, etc. Of course, there may have been some who made their story worse than it may have been just to get sympathy. But even those people are hurting or they wouldn't do such things. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for filling me with You. Thank You for giving me the fruit of the Spirit. Father, I pray for the children and parents/grandparents today with school cancelled. I pray You will show them in some way Your love. I pray for them to know someone is praying for them. Lord, I feel so guilty when I fret over financial things when I have food on my shelves, my utility bills are paid, and we have a roof over our heads. Lord, I pray for people to choose You over the ways of the world that lead them away from You. Father, thank You for being My Provider. Amen.

No comments: