Thursday, February 26, 2015

Psalm 24 - "King of Glory"

The Lord woke me up with the thought to read Psalm 24. As I read it, I thought of Third Day's song "King of Glory" and was so blessed.
The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
    the world, and all who live in it;
for he founded it on the seas
    and established it on the waters.
Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord?
    Who may stand in his holy place?
The one who has clean hands and a pure heart,
    who does not trust in an idol
    or swear by a false god.
They will receive blessing from the Lord
    and vindication from God their Savior.
Such is the generation of those who seek him,
    who seek your face, God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, you gates;
    be lifted up, you ancient doors,
    that the King of glory may come in.
Who is this King of glory?
    The Lord strong and mighty,
    the Lord mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, you gates;
    lift them up, you ancient doors,
    that the King of glory may come in.
10 Who is he, this King of glory?
    The Lord Almighty
    he is the King of glory.
There is so much hope in these verses for those who accept the Lord and live for Him. I love the words from verse seven to the end which describe this King of Glory. Matthew Henry describes these verses:

The splendid entry here described, refers to the solemn bringing in of the ark into the tent David pitched for it, or the temple Solomon built for it. We may also apply it to the ascension of Christ into heaven, and the welcome given to him there. Our Redeemer found the gates of heaven shut, but having by his blood made atonement for sin, as one having authority, he demanded entrance. The angels were to worship him, Hebrews 1:6: they ask with wonder, Who is he? It is answered, that he is strong and mighty; mighty in battle to save his people, and to subdue his and their enemies. We may apply it to Christ's entrance into the souls of men by his word and Spirit, that they may be his temples. Behold, he stands at the door, and knocks, Revelation 3:20. The gates and doors of the heart are to be opened to him, as possession is delivered to the rightful owner. We may apply it to his second coming with glorious power. Lord, open the everlasting door of our souls by thy grace, that we may now receive thee, and be wholly thine; and that, at length, we may be numbered with thy saints in glory.

I get the Holy Spirit goosebumps as I read these words. To think about how the Lord ascended on high and entered into heaven to be with our Heavenly Father in order to abide with Him…woo hoo! I love the word picture of people accepting Him into their lives in order so they can abide in heaven too. When we leave this earth, the gates of heaven will be opened to us IF we have allowed our hearts to be opened to the Lord. But once again I think about how asking Him into our heart is not enough. We must live for Him and truly allow Him full reign. That last sentence of Matthew Henry's is the greatest prayer anyone could ever pray. 

Lord, open the everlasting door of our souls by thy grace, that we may now receive thee, and be wholly thine; and that, at length, we may be numbered with thy saints in glory.

I am so blessed with the knowledge that not only have I accepted Him into my heart but have fully surrendered to Him. I have confidence when I pass through the gate of death I will be with the saints in glory. Who is this King of Glory to me? He is the One and Only Lord of my life who has my full surrender.

His name is Jesus
Precious Jesus
The Lord Almighty
The King of my heart
The King of Glory

Dear Jesus,
I praise You for being who You are in my life. I praise You for loving me, forgiving me, dying for me, using me, speaking to me…the list goes on and on. Father, I pray for those who don't have the confidence of heaven after death. Lord, put someone before them who will say or do something to change their hearts. Father, I pray for more of You and less of me in order to be able to do Your will in the most effective manner. Lord, I pray today for some serious situations in people's lives. I pray for the one and his family in Hospice…give them Your strength and peace in these tough days. I pray for the one who has found lumps and going for her mammogram today…once again I ask for Your peace to come down upon her. I pray for the little guy and his family who continue the battle of physical issues…may Your healing touch and Your peace be upon them. Father, You know the things I am dealing with in my body and I pray for Your strength to be so very real to me today. Lord thank You, once again, for being who You are in my life. I praise Your Holy Name for all that You do to guide me. Thank You Jesus for being My King of Glory.  Amen.

No comments: