Friday, February 27, 2015

Luke 10:19; Psalm 34 - "Alive In Us"

I love the words to the song "Alive In Us" and am so blessed every time I sing it. I especially get blessed with the part that goes…

The enemy is under Your feet
We are free...We are free
Death has been defeated by love
You overcome
You overcome

When Jesus sent out the seventy-two in Luke 10, He gave them authority to stand up against the enemy. Verse nineteen reads, "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." Matthew Henry writes about this verse...All our victories over Satan, are obtained by power derived from Jesus Christ, and he must have all the praise. 

The song continues…

In everything
Be exalted
In everything
Be exalted

One of the the reasons the Lord died and rose again was so we could have victory in our lives. Victory in the sense that we can live for Him and be empowered to stand up against the enemy. His desire is for us to stand firm in our faith even when life gets tough. Psalm 34 encourages us to praise Him no matter what comes our way. Verse seventeen encourages us that when we cry out to the Lord He hears us. It doesn't mean He will always answer our prayers in the manner we would like but we have the assurance that He hears us and will answer us in the best manner for our situation. Verse nineteen promises us when we live a righteous life He will deliver us. 
I will extol the Lord at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
    he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
    and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
    for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 Whoever of you loves life
    and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
    and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
    seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
    and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
    to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
    he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19 The righteous person may have many troubles,
    but the Lord delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.
21 Evil will slay the wicked;
    the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The Lord will rescue his servants;
    no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for these words today to encourage me. Father, I do want to praise Your Holy Name for always hearing me when I cry out to You. I praise You for being the One who knows what is best for me. I also praise You for the way You use my circumstances to encourage others. Father, You are so awesome! It is so wonderful to know You go before me to take care of me. Lord, Your death and resurrection enables me to live a life where I do not have to fear the enemy but instead can call out to You to get him out of my life. Woo hoo! Thank You Jesus! Father, today I am claiming Your authority and power to trample the enemy down. Thank You Jesus for being My Authority Against The Evil One. Amen.



No comments: