Saturday, February 7, 2015

Psalm 88 - "Word of God Speak"

I woke up this morning to the song "Word of God Speak" and immediately "Psalm 88" came to my mind. I wasn't sure what this Psalm was about but as I read it I knew immediately the Lord brought me to it for my dear friends who received disturbing news yesterday. On one hand it was news that every believer should be grateful to hear. The thought of no longer suffering on this earth but instead being with Jesus should be exciting and I am sure it is on one hand. But on the other hand knowing you are leaving your family would be hard. The love of your life, your children, your future grandchildren…that would be hard.

I asked the Lord to reveal to me something from Psalm 88. I sang these words...

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

He had me read Psalm 88 again. As I did He brought to my mind another one who basically has been given a death sentence from doctors. 
Lord, you are the God who saves me;
    day and night I cry out to you.
May my prayer come before you;
    turn your ear to my cry.
I am overwhelmed with troubles
    and my life draws near to death.
I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
    I am like one without strength.
I am set apart with the dead,
    like the slain who lie in the grave,
whom you remember no more,
    who are cut off from your care.
You have put me in the lowest pit,
    in the darkest depths.
Your wrath lies heavily on me;
    you have overwhelmed me with all your waves.[d]
You have taken from me my closest friends
    and have made me repulsive to them.
I am confined and cannot escape;
    my eyes are dim with grief.
I call to you, Lord, every day;
    I spread out my hands to you.
10 Do you show your wonders to the dead?
    Do their spirits rise up and praise you?
11 Is your love declared in the grave,
    your faithfulness in Destruction?
12 Are your wonders known in the place of darkness,
    or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?
13 But I cry to you for help, Lord;
    in the morning my prayer comes before you.
14 Why, Lord, do you reject me
    and hide your face from me?

15 From my youth I have suffered and been close to death;
    I have borne your terrors and am in despair.
16 Your wrath has swept over me;
    your terrors have destroyed me.
17 All day long they surround me like a flood;
    they have completely engulfed me.
18 You have taken from me friend and neighbor—
    darkness is my closest friend.
Matthew Henry writes: "The psalmist resolved to continue in prayer, and the more so, because deliverance did not come speedily. Though our prayers are not soon answered, yet we must not give over praying. The greater our troubles, the more earnest and serious we should be in prayer." 

I thought about these words. I thought about all of the prayers two other families who had deaths of loved ones this week had prayed. Praise God they were both believers and are rejoicing with the Lord right now. Once again the human aspect creeps into my mind. The thoughts of families who woke up this morning without a mom, grandma, sister, etc. here to talk to. The prayers need to continue even after a death. We need to not allow the enemy to overcome us with despair. The last words of this chapter may be the way we feel yet we have to look to the Lord for His strength.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for these words this morning. Father, I continue to pray for those who lost loved ones and for the two you brought to my mind that recently received news from the doctor that was hard to comprehend. I pray for them and their families to not give up praying. Lord, Your will is what any of us need for our lives. If Your will includes taking us from this earth, than so be it. Father, more of You and less of me is the only way I would be able to get through losing a family member. Lord, help me in my emotional and spiritual being when those days come. Thank You Jesus for being My Comfort. Amen.


No comments: