Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Psalm 90 - "The Breakup Song"


Sometimes I wonder why God has me pray for people when I don't know their circumstances. Like last night He woke me at 4AM to pray for a young lady I had in classes when I was substitute teaching fifteen years ago. Growing up she lived with her Mom and sister and rarely got into any trouble. She was a Girl Scout, attended church on and off, etc. I was in contact with her as a teenager when she was struggling with her mother getting married but then lost contact with her. I know she had a baby but not sure if she ever married. During the night God had me praying for her for protection. He didn't give me details other than to pray. I don't know what type of protection but I get the sense it is for her spiritual being. Once again, I don't understand why He has me pray but I am His obedient servant so I prayed. He blesses me so much with my prayer life. He especially blesses me when He wakes me with an urgency to read a certain passage of Scripture. Today it was Psalm 90. Just as God protected the Israelites in the wilderness He protected me when I fell away from Him. He never left me but instead was there to love on me. He knew of my sin yet He continued to love me. There was nothing I could keep in secret from Him yet He was there ready to accept me back into His arms. If it had not been for Him accepting me back, I would not be where I am today. I would not have the opportunity to be blessed with such a relationship with Him. There would not be prayers sent up for so many people if I would not have repented. I love the last verse of Psalm 90. I desire to be blessed by His favor. Every time He wakes me in the middle of the night to pray I do because I desire to bless Him. As I am obedient, I bless Him. I was interested in what 'the work of our hands' meant so I did some digging. Matthew Henry writes:

The work of our hands, establish thou it; and, in order to that, establish us in it. Instead of wasting our precious, fleeting days in pursuing fancies, which leave the possessors for ever poor, let us seek the forgiveness of sins, and an inheritance in heaven. Let us pray that the work of the Holy Spirit may appear in converting our hearts, and that the beauty of holiness may be seen in our conduct.

As we allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through us we are working toward eternity with God. We must allow Him to cleanse of anything that can be a deterrent in our relationship with Him. One of the things the enemy uses to pull us away from Christ and put doubts in our minds is fear. When something 'bad' happens such as MS or cancer, the enemy tells us God couldn't love us with such a diagnosis happening; we must have done something wrong; or we must not be good enough for Him. What is put into our minds from satan is lies. He does not speak truth as the Lord does. We cannot allow him one little door into our lives. If we do, he will take off and go crazy. Instead we must stand firm in our faith. I love these words to "The Breakup Song"....

Fear, you don't own me
There ain't no room in this story
And I ain't got time for you telling me what I'm not
Like you know me, well guess what
I know who I am
I know I'm strong and I am free
Got my own identity
So fear, you will never be welcome here


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with my visit with Ms Paula, my time with Marion, and the time with the children/teens last night. Thank You for physical strength for such days. Thank You for giving me the opportunity to pray for this young lady during the night. Father, I don't know what is going on in her life but I pray You will be so very real to her. I also pray for those waiting on medical test results to lean upon Your strength. Lord, may You be greater than things such as cancer in people's lives. Lord, cleanse me of anything not of You so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May "the beauty of holiness" be seen in my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day in a mighty way. Thank You Jesus for being My Holiness. Amen.


No comments: