Friday, September 21, 2018

Psalm 19 - "The Breakup Song"

Why do these words keep going through my mind? All afternoon yesterday and again when I woke this morning I had them. I don't think I am fearful of anything. Maybe God has them in my mind to remind me to pray for those who are being faced with situations that can cause fear.

Fear, you don’t own me
There ain’t no room in this story
And I ain’t got time for you
Telling me what I’m not
Like you know me well guess what?
I know who I am
I know I’m strong
And I am free
Got my own identity 
So fear, you will never be welcome here

Fear can control one's life. I have seen mothers who are so fearful of their children getting hurt by someone so they keep them protected by keeping them with them at all time. I have seen people afraid of people hurting them so they keep to themselves instead of being out in society. There are people who constantly complain of one physical ailment or another because they are fearful of dying. Fear can be seen on people's faces, in people's eyes, by their actions, etc. Fear is a very real thing. It is something the enemy likes to prey upon. If satan knows someone is afraid of something, he uses that fear to his advantage. He will put people or circumstances in front of those who are fearful to cause that fear to increase. He will try to make people think their fear is greater than anything else in life. That is a lie. God is greater than everything. As I've said before, He is greater than MS and cancer. He is greater than the obstacles of getting the church building rehabbed. He is greater than the financial issues of life. Plain and simple. He is greater. The other night at Bible study Doc reiterated that there is no room for darkness when we live in the Light. This reminded me that there is no room for fear when I am filled with the Spirit. Does that make fear a sin? Fear is a normal human emotion God created us with. But He gives us free choice. If we choose to allow the enemy to play havoc in our life through making us fearful, then I believe it can turn into a sin. Instead we need to pray against the enemy and keep asking God to strengthen us through the trials of life. This morning God took me to Psalm 19. David wrote this Psalm to show what God does in verses one through six; His holiness in verses seven through ten; and then he wrote a prayer in verses eleven through fourteen. I love this chapter as it is interpreted in The Message


The prayer David gives toward the end is priceless. When he asks God to give us a clean slate to start the day, he is praying just as I pray each day. I ask for a cleansing of my spirit so He can fill me with Himself. This gives me a better chance of not sinning and enables me to allow Him to be in control of my day. I love the words in The Message..."sun-washed, scrubbed clean of the grime of sin'...woo hoo! I love to smell laundry that has been hung out to dry. When we were in Arizona and hung laundry out, it smelled so fresh with the juniper. It was something unlike I had ever smelled before. That is what I desire my days to be. I desire them to be unlike any other day before. I desire God to be oozing out of me that people will even smell Him through me.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders from this song You have placed upon my heart. Thank You for Psalm 19 that reminds me to lay everything on the altar and leave it there so You can work in and through me. Thank You for the opportunities from yesterday and the ones ahead in this day. Thank You for the way You have cleansed me so You could fill me. Thank You for the love of my husband and the fun time we had yesterday afternoon bicycling. Thank You for our fun time with friends last night. Father, You fill me to overflowing with blessings and for that I am grateful. I pray You will bless me today in abundance with more of You. May people not only see and hear You through me today but may Your love be so richly flowing from me that people will smell Your fragrance from me. Thank You Jesus for being My Altar Rock. Amen.

No comments: