Monday, January 3, 2022

Psalm 67 - "How Great Thou Art"

 


I was awake four times during the night and every time God had Psalm 67 on my mind. One time I thought about getting my Bible and reading it but I fell back to sleep. This morning as I read it in different translations there were several things that came to my mind. First, it is a Psalm to be played with stringed instruments. That reminded me of the morning I was driving through downtown Beaufort with my sunroof open and the sun shining down on me. Rickey and I were on our 'morning call' and it was a little earlier than normal. He had his routine of practicing all his instruments before starting lessons. That morning he picked up the mandolin and played "How Great Thou Art" and I sang along. The Son was shining down on me in a mighty way that morning as this memory was made. The second thing from this Psalm I received was in verse two where the Psalmist speaks about God sending us out all over the world so that everyone everywhere will discover your ways and know who you are and see your power to save. This verse reminds me of the way God is using me through my blog and our services being on Facebook live. People are receiving God through what He is doing in my life. Woo hoo! I love knowing people all over the world are reading my blog. I wonder sometimes if maybe the words here are the only ones they get to read out of the Bible. The third reminder comes in verses three through five that we are to praise Him. We can never praise Him enough. I made a statement in my sermon yesterday that was close to my heart as I am in this journey of grief. Praise God for giving us faith and growing our faith through the obstacles in life. No matter what we go through we need to praise God. No matter how deep the hurt we need to praise God. No matter how much the enemy tries to tear us apart we need to praise God. Plain and simple. We need to praise God. The result of such a life is found in verse seven. And the blessings keep coming! All the ends of the earth will give him the honor he deserves and be in awe of him! As we live for Him, praising Him, walking in obedience to His will, etc. we will be blessed. As I said yesterday in my sermon I am not talking about materialistic blessings but spiritual blessings. I was reading something Guzik wrote this morning about this verse. He explained when we use the blessings God gives us to bless others we will be blessed more. He used a circle as an example. Blessings continue as we continue living for the Lord just as a circle continues. There can be times when our 'circle' becomes broken when we do not do as God desires. Shame on us when we take our focus off Him. I pray my 'blessing circle' never becomes broken. I was thinking this morning about all of the blessings I received through my short time with Rickey. I am thankful for the eternal impact I had in his life. I don't understand the 'whys?' that come into my mind about his death but I don't have to understand. I am thankful I know he is playing in the best band ever up in heaven! I also am thankful for the words to "How Great Thou Art" that bring great hope to me.

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow with humble adoration
And then proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"

Dear Jesus, Thank You for Psalm 67 that encourages me in so many ways! Thank You for the memory of Rickey playing "How Great Thou Art" while I sang along! Thank You for all of the memories You give to us to bask in when our loved ones leave this earth! There are so many deaths happening and I pray for each person to experience Your peace and love. I pray for people who love You to be in their presence to encourage them. Father, I continue to pray for Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself in these days of transition with Rickey no longer being with us. I am so thankful to have them in my life. I know You have given them to me as part of my healing process. I pray for those going through 'tough' days to have someone in their life to be You to them. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Tony and Madeline; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Carrie; Little Jensen who needs a heart; many with COVID; Sharon Sebolt; the Pottenger Family; Serena's husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Cyndi; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Doug and Gay; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousin; George and Sharon; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Elaine Stoltzfus; Tammie; and Little Ivy. Father, I also pray for a friend who is undergoing testing for possible mesothelioma. Lord, be so real to her in these days. I continue to pray for Matthew's recovery from shoulder surgery. I pray for the water situation at the church building to be resolved in a timely manner. I pray for Your wisdom as I deal with these days ahead with this issue. Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You flow richly from my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. Thank You for being My Greatness! Amen. 

No comments: