Saturday, August 11, 2018

Luke 15:11-32 - "The Comeback"


The words to "The Comeback" have been on my heart this morning...

This is your time, your moment 
The fire, the fight, you're golden
You've come so far keep going
Here comes the comeback, comeback

There is no mountain you can't face
There is no giant you can't take
All of your tears were not a waste
You're one step away

Just when they think they've got you game, set, match
Here comes the comeback


Woo hoo! It is exciting when one makes the decision to return to Christ. There is so much despair in their life that is gone once they go back into relationship with Him. The turmoil that is part of living a life of sin in wiped out when the decision is made. There is no longer depression and suffering. It is replaced with hope through His love. I remember the emotions I went through when I returned into relationship with Him. I was scared that people would not accept me back into their lives because of my fall. There were some who held my past against me but I was blessed when my Heavenly Daddy encouraged me to not allow them to deter my steps. He told me He would help them work through what they were dealing with in my return to Him. He forgives and forgets. Unfortunately, many people have a hard time with that process. But He is the only One who matters. People who love with His love will forgive and forget. People who still have one foot in the ways of the world may forgive but they don't forget. I remember how hard the process was with such people but I knew I could not allow them to stop my progress in getting back into my relationship with the Lord. Such people may seem like a 'mountain' or 'giant' but God is greater than anything. 

In Luke 15 we read about the parable of the prodigal who returned home. The father was ecstatic for his return. The brother was upset with the way the father welcomed him. Not only did he welcome him with open arms but he celebrated his return. The father in this story represents God. He is so excited when one of His children returns into relationship with Him. I believe when we walk away from Him He never gives up on us but He also gives us free choice. Once our eyes are opened to what we need to do and repent He welcomes us back in His great love. In the words of Matthew Henry:

The Lord meets him with unexpected tokens of his forgiving love. Again; the reception of the humbled sinner is like that of the prodigal. He is clothed in the robe of the Redeemer's righteousness, made partaker of the Spirit of adoption, prepared by peace of conscience and gospel grace to walk in the ways of holiness, and feasted with Divine consolations. Principles of grace and holiness are wrought in him, to do, as well as to will.

It is exciting to return to the Lord after walking away but it isn't anything I would recommend. There is no need to walk away from Him other than when we are selfish. When we decide the enticements of the world are greater than what He can give, we fall away. But in reality the ways of the world are nothing compared to what He can give.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace. Thank You for accepting me back with open arms when I fell away. Lord, I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me with more of Yourself. I am thankful I am in a place where I can ask for that. I pray for the prodigals who need to return to You. I also pray for their families to not give up on them. Lord, I pray for those who have returned to You to not allow the world to pull them away again. Encourage them as they deal with people who bring up their past. Empower them to stay strong in You. Thank You Jesus for being My Heavenly Father. Amen.

No comments: