Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 - "I Am"


I was awake throughout the night thinking and praying for the Edwards family. I cannot imagine all of the emotions they are going through with the sudden death of their little guy. It made me think of this time last year when I could not believe the news of the Grimm family's sudden death of Jeremy. The only 'good' thing I could think of as I prayed was the fact that both of these boys are with Jesus. There is great comfort in that knowledge. There is also great comfort in knowing when we live for Jesus on this earth we will be reunited with our loved ones in heaven. There are so many questions that come at times such as this. The 'whys?' are asked over and over. The 'what if' scenarios go through our heads. The thing we must remember is the verse in Ecclesiastes which tells us there is a time to be born and a time to die. God has His reasons for allowing accidents to happen. We may never know them while on this earth but as we dig deeper into our faith and trust Him He will give us His peace in our hearts. There will always be the aching for our loved one but God will give us the strength as we lean on Him. I know God is the only way the Grimm family continues to get the tough days and I pray the same will be for the Edwards family.

These words that Crowder sings from "I Am" were in my heart every time I woke to pray...
I am
Holding onto you
I am
Holding onto you
In the middle of the storm
I am holding on
I am!

They reflect my prayers for those going through a storm of life. It seems very appropriate that my sermon for this next Sunday is about how we deal with the storms of life. Not only do we have this sudden death but we have other situations with people in the church that are life changing. Oh how I pray for all to grasp the concept of Jesus' peace in the storms of life.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love that enables us to get through the storms of life. Thank You for being Our Strength when we feel like we can't go on. Father, I pray for the Edwards family to feel Your strength today in a mighty way. Lord, empower them to get through all of the emotions they are experiencing. Thank You for the way You continue to give the Grimm family strength. Lord, life on this earth was changed forever when their loved one died but praise Your Holy Name those who are in relationship with You will see them again. I pray for those who are not in relationship with You to find You so they too will have Your strength. Lord, thank You for cleansing me this morning so You can fill me with more of You. Thank You for going before me and opening doors that need opened. Lord, I also pray for Doc to have wisdom about seeing a doctor for his back pain. Lord, may this day of rest in his body be what He needs for a healing. Thank You Jesus for being Our Strength. Amen.

No comments: