Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Psalm 84 - "Dwelling Places"


The Lord woke me every hour or so last night to pray. Every time He did He had me pray for Paula and Jack for rest. They have been through so much over the last few months. He had me pray for them to not only rest physically but also mentally and emotionally. Throughout the times of being woke up He added others to my prayers...

  • Nancy who receives more test results today
  • Nada who continues with radiation
  • John who continues with chemo
  • Carletta with multiple health issues
  • Brian who was discharged from the hospital
  • Doc with multiple issues
  • Ben as his foot continues to heal
  • Little Richie who goes for chemo today
  • Little JJ who continues to heal from burns
I asked the Lord this morning what He wanted me to read in His Word. He took me to Psalm 84. This is a Psalm of encouragement to me. David pours out adoration for God throughout this Psalm. The dwelling place of the Lord is the best place to live. While on this earth we can live there when we live in His presence. The only way to do that is to be sold out to God. We must accept Him in our heart but then go another step to dying to self. The desires of our heart must be aligned with the desires of His heart. His will must be what we walk in. We must not only hear His voice but walk in obedience to it. David shares in this Psalm about how even a bird realizes where her home is. Living a life for Him is where our home is. As this is realized in one's life, they will be able to praise Him through everything that happens in life (vs 4). They also will also be empowered by His strength (vs 5). One who lives in the Lord's presence will realize favor from Him (vs 8). This does not mean life will be a bed of roses. It means they will feel His presence and guidance no matter what comes their way (vs 9). Matthew Henry writes of verses ten and eleven:

"We are here in darkness, but if God be our God, he will be to us a Sun, to enlighten and enliven us, to guide and direct us. We are here in danger, but he will be to us a Shield, to secure us from the fiery darts that fly thick about us. Through he has not promised to give riches and dignities, he has promised to give grace and glory to all that seek them in his appointed way. And what is grace, but heaven begun below, in the knowledge, love, and service of God? What is glory, but the completion of this happiness, in being made like to him, and in fully enjoying him for ever?"

God's love, mercy, and grace are what get me through each and every day. It is what strengthens me when I feel like I can't go on. He is what enables me to be the person I am. Without Him, I would be lost. I would no have peace in the midst of the storms of life. I would be angry and very unhappy. With Him, I am content and have joy no matter what is happening in life. As I look back over those He had me pray for during the night I am blessed in knowing they know the Lord. There are many people I know that I can't say that for. That saddens me. Once again, I am reminded of why I am on this earth. It is to share His love with others. People who know Him need to be reminded of His love. Those who do not know Him need to be told about His love. He did not put me here just because He thought it would be a good idea. He put me here to be His faithful and obedient servant. He put me here to trust Him with my whole being so He can use me to further His Kingdom. Oh my, I have much to do for Him. Most of all I need to stay in His presence so I do not miss any opportunities He puts before me.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the beautiful words of Psalm 84. Thank You for the reminders of Your love, mercy and grace. Thank You for the opportunities You gave me to pray during the night. I pray for an abundance of Your strength throughout this day with little sleep. Lord, most of all I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me up to where You are oozing out of me. I pray for people to see/hear You instead of me. I also pray for many who do not know You to find You. I pray for those in relationship with You yet still need to die to self to have the realization salvation is not the stopping point with You. Thank You Jesus for being My Dwelling Place. Amen.

No comments: