Saturday, June 30, 2018

John 3:16; multiple others - "Reckless Love"


The words to "Reckless Love" have such great meaning...

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah

I watched a video last night with service men singing this song and can't get it out of my head. It is about how God never quits loving on us. He never gives up on us. I am forever grateful for that. When I walked away, He continued loving me. When I turned back to Him, He took me in open arms. There are so many people in this world who believe they have gone too far to ever return to God or are so 'bad' He would never love them. But He loves us all. He loves us so much that He sacrificed His One and Only Son on the cross for our sins. Christ's death did not cover just some people's sins but everyone's sins. His love is not reckless in the human sense. Every aspect of His love is for a purpose. But when humans look at the way He loves, it appears reckless in the sense that He does not think about the impact on Himself when He loves on people. One example in the Bible is when He (Jesus) interacted with the Samaritan woman. He did not think about what others would say about Him talking to her. Instead He did what He knew in His nature and interacted with her. This interaction changed her life. The writer of this song, Cory Asbury, wrote:
"When I use the phrase, “the reckless love of God”, I’m not saying that God Himself is reckless. I am, however, saying that the way He loves, is in many regards, quite so. What I mean is this: He is utterly unconcerned with the consequences of His actions with regards to His own safety, comfort, and well-being. His love isn’t crafty or slick. It’s not cunning or shrewd. In fact, all things considered, it’s quite childlike, and might I even suggest, sometimes downright ridiculous. His love bankrupted heaven for you. His love doesn’t consider Himself first. His love isn’t selfish or self-serving. He doesn’t wonder what He’ll gain or lose by putting Himself out there."
This is the kind of love I desire to have for others. When He calls me to love on someone who is unlovable, I want to love on them without questioning Him. When He puts someone in my mind to contact, I desire to be His servant in the situation. There are many Scriptures associated with this song but the one that stands out the most to me is John 3:16.

Verse 1:
Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me
Speaking of God's people in Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
You have been so, so good to me
Psalm 13:6 (NLT) I will sing to the LORD because He is good to me.
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life in me
Genesis 2:7 Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
You have been so, so kind to me
Psalms 117:2 For His lovingkindness is great toward us, and the truth of the Lord is everlasting. Praise the Lord!
Chorus:
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Ephesians 3:19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.
Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying, I have loved you with an everlasting loveTherefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”
Romans 5:7-8 For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
Jesus said in Luke 15:3-7 So He told them this parable, saying, “What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Galatians 2:16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God

Verse 1:
When I was Your foe, still Your love fought for me
You have been so, so good to me
Romans 5:8, 10 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us... For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
When I felt no worth, You paid it all for me
You have been so, so kind to me
Ephesians 2:3-4 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.
Chorus:
And oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
And I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Titus 3:4-7 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Bridge:
There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me
Jesus said in Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
Psalm 23:6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever. 
John 4:23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers
Chorus:
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
And I couldn't earn it, I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Jesus said in Matthew 18:12-14 “What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.”
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for having a 'reckless' type of love where You do not stop and think of the impact it will have on You. I desire more of this type of love in my life. I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me up to where Your love oozes out of me in such a way there will be no doubt that You are the Lord over my life. I pray for those who are not in relationship with You to have someone love on them with Your love so they will desire You. I pray for those who have fallen away to return to the depths of Your arms. I pray for those who are saved yet still holding onto 'stuff' to allow You to cleanse them fully. Lord, this morning I am praying for a dear one who is being admitted to the hospital with afib. I also am praying for a family with multiple physical issues but most importantly spiritual issues. May You become the God in their life instead of the gods of this world. I continue to pray for a family in turmoil and a couple in crisis. Once again, may You become greater than the selfishness that is being shown in these relationships. Oh how life can be so different when people quit thinking about their wants and desires and begin focusing on being Your love. Thank You Jesus for being My Reckless Love. Amen.

No comments: