Friday, June 8, 2018

Exodus 20:3; Matthew 6:19-21; Deuteronomy 31:6 - "You Are My All In All"

Yesterday I was reminded anything or anyone that is put before God is an idol. The Lord's words to Moses in Exodus 20:3 are very clear. "Do not worship any god except me." When we worship something or someone other than God, it causes separation between us. He still hears us but we cannot hear Him. Our eyes are blinded by things/people we put before God. In Exodus 32 the Israelites worshiped the golden calf instead of God. They desired to have control over their god and knew they could not have control over God Himself. They wanted to be able to know where their god was and be able to move it themselves. Even though God had saved them from the life they were living in Egypt, they still did not trust Him. They only trusted themselves and their god. People today trust things/people more than they trust God. They allow things/people to consume their thoughts. They seek happiness in people/things when true happiness can only be found in a relationship with God. Some things/people that are sought are good. Things such as family, ministry, jobs, etc. But even good things/people cannot give true happiness. People will disappoint. God may disappoint but in the end when in relationship with Him one realizes His timing and/or answer is best for them. He created us to be in right relationship with Him. When we are, we have true happiness. It is in such a relationship that trust in Him is found. We must trust Him with everything. Our family, checkbook, calendar, etc. Every aspect of our life must be turned over to Him. He 'owns' it anyway but gives us free choice to either hold onto it or surrender it. I think of Matthew 6:19-21 this morning...


This picture was taken from when we sold a lot of 'junk' before our move to South Carolina. Not all of it was 'junk' but there was so much stuff we did not need but had accumulated over the years. Sometimes I wonder if the things we accumulate become idols. I think of my teddy bear collection which numbered over three hundred. They each held special meaning to me. I was amazed at how the Lord gave me peace at ridding myself of that collection. I don't know that I would call it an idol but as I think about the collection it did take time away from God as I had to clean them. The many books that we had accumulated took time away from God as we read them. These were not 'bad' things yet they were things that did take time away from God. Were they idols? I did not think so until these thoughts came to my mind yesterday and now I'm not sure. I call Doc my hero for all he does for me and the way he loves me but I do not place him in the category of an idol. God comes first. Sometimes that means I have to set the clock early to have my time with God before doing something with Doc. Leaving our family and moving to South Carolina was very hard to do but God called and we obeyed. Once again, God had to come first. I never want to have the attitude of the Israelites who were ungrateful for what God did for them. The desire of my heart is to trust God fully. These last few weeks have been full of trusting Him. The medical bills are flowing in but Doc is still not back to work. How will they be paid? I don't know but I do know they will be paid in His time. He will make a way. I am trusting Him to provide. I am standing on the promises of His word in Deuteronomy 31:6...


This morning I am asking myself these questions..

1.  Is there something or someone I love more than God?
2.  How often am I in His word?
3.  How often am I praying?
4.  What do I spend most of my time doing? What happens when I put things or people before God? What can I do to keep from turning my back on God?

5.  What can I do this week to show God I love Him?
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder about putting things/people before You. I pray I do not do this but I know I am not perfect. I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Lord, go before me today and open doors that need opened and close ones that need closed. You know the desires of my heart and I ask that You align them with the desires of Your heart. I continue to pray for many who are going through difficult days in their health, some with financial issues, families in turmoil, families as the children are home for the summer with the financial and emotional stress, and most of all for people to get to the end of themselves and allow You to be the Lord of Lords of their life. Thank You Jesus for being My Treasure. Amen.

No comments: