Saturday, June 9, 2018

Psalm 78; Jeremiah 29:11-12 - "Lead Me To The Cross"



Nothing should ever surprise me from the things the Lord does but there are days like today that He blows me away. I woke up to the song "Lead Me To The Cross" going through my mind. Almost immediately, He told me to read Psalm 78. As I read it, I was blessed in abundance by Him. Psalm one through eight tell us to teach our children about the Lord so future generations will know Him. Verses nine through thirty-nine gives the history of Israel. It tells of the way sin separates men from God. Even with all God did for the Israelites they still chose their own ways instead of Him. The rest of the chapter discusses how the Israelites did not show gratitude to the Lord but instead allowed the enemy a foothold in their lives after they settled in Canaan. There is much to be learned from their story. We must never turn away from God. He had His Only Son die on the cross so we could live. Many times I have heard the excuse 'I can't be good enough to be a Christian.' We are all good enough to be Christians. Christ did not die for just some, He died for all of us. His death on the cross and His resurrection from the grave were for all to live. Jesus is the Lamb of God who was sacrificed so His blood could wash away all our sins. The blood of the lamb the Israelites put on their door posts protected them from the death angel. The blood of Christ protects all who will live for HIm. This week the children learned of the Lamb of God as we discussed the plagues. It is interesting that David penned of the plagues in this Psalm. David spoke of how the children of the Israelites rebelled against God just as their parents. What a legacy they had. Some say there are generational curses that are handed down. No matter if that is what they are called or not, people do not have to live as their parents did if they lived for the enemy and not the Lord. There needs to be a stop to such living. People need to take a stand for Christ and allow Him to make life for them and their future generations different. I desire to be known as David in verses seventy through seventy-two...

He chose David his servant
    and took him from the sheep pens;
71 from tending the sheep he brought him
    to be the shepherd of his people Jacob,
    of Israel his inheritance.
72 And David shepherded them with integrity of heart;
    with skillful hands he led them.


Yes! I want to be known as God's servant who is known for her integrity as she leads people to Christ. That is an awesome way to be remembered! The only way to be remembered in such a way is to filled with Christ. Matthew Henry writes about David being "filled with the Spirit of wisdom and understanding." Henry continues:

On the uprightness of his heart, and the skilfulness of his hands, all his subjects may rely; and of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end. Every trial of human nature hitherto, confirms the testimony of Scripture, that the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked, and nothing but being created anew by the Holy Ghost can cure the ungodliness of any.

I love this! Everything I go through...everything the enemy puts before me...needs to show a confirmation of God showing through in my life. The only way that will happen is by living a life of holiness. Emptying myself out and allowing Him to fill me up. Not just once but daily.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for bringing this song and Scripture to me this morning. Thank You for the way you work in and through me. Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day. Thank You for the encouragement You gave me through Marion's words yesterday as I told her of Miss Evelyn's act of kindness of having her hair cut to help another. "She's kind like her grandmother." Lord, I want people to see You in me. I desire people to know You are the One to give me strength and direction. Father, You know the desires of my heart and I pray for them to be aligned with Your desires. I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me up to overflowing. There are so many hurting people in my little world. Some are physically hurting, some emotionally hurting, and some need a spiritual healing. Lord, use me however You desire to make a difference in people's lives. Go before me today and be my words, actions, and attitude. Thank You Jesus for being My Example. Amen.




No comments: