Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Psalm 39 - "This Is Not Where I Belong"


There are times we need to be silent and there are times we need to speak. In order to be obedient to the Lord we must live in His presence so we know when to speak and when to keep our mouths shut. We also will know what to say as we listen to Him. David wrote in Psalm 39 about the importance of watching our words. People who do not live for the Lord are watching those who do to see what a true Christian is all about. If they hear or see them doing things of the world, it confuses them. They cannot understand how a person can speak one thing but live another. When one judges and ridicules them for the way they live, they take offense. Sometimes that is what they should do because of the manner it is given. If the Lord gives words or tells us to go speak to someone about how they are living, that is what we are to do. But if we just do it on our own, that is wrong. It will only cause further division between the person and God. David cries out to God asking Him to help him while on this earth to speak what He desires of Him. He asks Him to fill Him with more of Him so His words would be David's words. That is my prayer every day. I want to speak life while on this earth. The only way to do that is to be filled with the Holy Spirit. One must have discernment when dealing with others. They must be walking a life of obedience to know when to speak and what to say. Their attitude must be oozing with the love of Christ. There have been many times when words came out of my mouth that I wish I could take back. Doc calls it 'hoof and mouth disease'! 

We are only on this earth for a short time. If we do not use our time wisely, we will not spend eternity with the Lord. Instead we will rot in hell. The enemy is on the prowl trying to destroy God's people. He cannot be everywhere as God can but where he is there is destruction. He takes people's weaknesses and turns them into his desires. Matthew Henry writes of the first few verses of Psalm 39, "If an evil thought should arise in the mind, suppress it." We must be on guard against the enemy at all times. Our words must speak life and not death. The enemy does not like this but we must do it to be ready for leaving this earth. We must ask the Holy Spirit to empower our words and fill us with His love so we will have Christ's attitude. Henry also writes about Psalm 39:7-13...

Afflictions are sent to stir up prayer. If they have that effect, we may hope that God will hear our prayer. The believer expects weariness and ill treatment on his way to heaven; but he shall not stay here long: walking with God by faith, he goes forward on his journey, not diverted from his course, nor cast down by the difficulties he meets. How blessed it is to sit loose from things here below, that while going home to our Father's house, we may use the world as not abusing it! May we always look for that city, whose Builder and Maker is God.

When God took me to Psalm 39 this morning, I questioned Him as to if I heard Him right. He assured me I did. After reading a few translations I asked Him again if I heard right. Once again, He assured me I did. He directed me to Matthew Henry's writing. As I read it, these words hit me. When going through tough days, we must stay in communion with Him to an even greater depth than normal. Prayer keeps us grounded. Prayer enables us to see the big picture that our earthly home is not the end of our story. This life is only temporary and how we live it will determine where we spend eternity. These words make me want to shout to the enemy, "bring it on!" but then I ask myself, "Is my faith strong enough for more 'junk' from the enemy?" It better be because I know he is going to continue to fight for my soul. HE WILL NOT WIN! I am chosen by God! I am His daughter! I am an heir to the Kindgom! Now I live in His presence on this earth but someday I will live in His presence in heaven! Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
The tears are near as I am once again blessed by Your encouragement. Thank You for keeping me in Psalm 39 this morning. Thank You for loving me enough to encouragement me through Your Word. Oh Father, I need You so much to flow in and through me today. I know the only way for that to happen is for a cleansing to occur in my spirit. Remove anything not of You and fill me to overflowing with Your words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. Lord, You know what is ahead in this day. Go before me and be My Strength. I praise You for every opportunity You have for me today to be You. I praise You for the way You will be my words, thoughts and actions. Thank You Jesus for being My Home. Amen.


No comments: