Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Various Scripture - "I Am"


"I Am"….woo hoo!  The Lord is everything!  I find it quite interesting to find three different books in the Bible that have seven references to "I Am."  Three is symbolic for truth and the number seven represents perfection.  I am fascinated how the Holy Spirit inspired the writing of the Bible.  This morning as I study I am amazed at how the number seven plays into the "I Am's" throughout the Bible.  Genesis has seven "I Am's"; Exodus has twenty-one "I Am's"; Isaiah has thirty-five "I Am's" Ezkiel has  seventy "I Am's"; Jeremiah has twenty-one "I Am's"; and the smaller prophetical books of the prophets have a total of twenty-one "I Am's."

Psalm is one of the books that has seven "I Am's" that are prophetic...
  1. "I am a worm, and no man" (Psalm 22:6).
  2. "I am poor and needy" (Psalm 40:17).
  3. "I am . . . a stranger unto my brethren" (Psalm 69:8).
  4. "I am full of heaviness" (Psalm 69:20).
  5. "I am poor and sorrowful" (Psalm 69:29).
  6. "I . . . am as a sparrow alone upon the house top" (Psalm 102:7).
  7. "I am withered like grass" (Psalm 102:11).
In the book of John, the seven "I Am's" are so personal...
  1. "I am the bread of life" (John 6:35,48,51).
  2. "I am the light of the world" (John 8:12).
  3. "I am the door of the sheep"(John 10:7,9).
  4. "I am the good shepherd" (John 10:11,14).
  5. "I am the resurrection, and the life" (John 11:25).
  6. "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).
  7. "I am the true vine" (John 15:1,5).
In the book of Revelation, the seven "I Am's" show the eternal life of the Lord...
  1.  "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death" (Revelation 1:18)
  2. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending" (Revelation 1:8).
  3. "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last" (Revelation 1:11).
  4. "Fear not; I am the first and the last" (Revelation 1:17).
  5. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end" (Revelation 21:6).
  6. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last" (Revelation 22:13).
  7. "I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star"(Revelation 22:16).
The last claim of "I Am" in the Old Testament is found in Malachi 3:6.  I am the Lord, I change not.  Woo hoo!  Those are some powerful words to hold onto!  As we live in a changing world, we have the promise that He will never change.  People will change.  Circumstances will change.  But the Lord will never change.

Dear Jesus,
Once again You amaze me.  I love to find tidbits of information such as how numbers come into play in the Bible.  It is overwhelming to think about how You take care of such details.  Lord, You are so amazing!  Father, as I start a new day I pray for You to go before me.  You know what is on the calendar but You also know opportunities You will put before me to be You to others.  Give me more of You and less of me so that I may be Your fruitful servant.  Lord, guide my words and my steps.  Thank You for being My I Am.  Amen.





No comments: