Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Psalm 138:7-8; Revelation 1:17-18; James 1:2-3 - "You Raise Me Up"



This morning the Lord has me praying for so many people who are "surrounded by troubles."  He told me to pray specifically for them to allow Him to lift them up.  Then He brought the song "You Raise Me Up" to my heart.

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary
When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit awhile with me
You raise me up so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be
There is no life - no life without it's hunger
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly
But when you come and I am filled with wonder
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity
You raise me up so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be
You raise me up so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be
You raise me up to more than I can be

Last night in Bible study Marlene brought out how John was 95 years old, exiled to the Isle of Patmos, burned in oil and then was given this vision to write about.  I can't even imagine but I was thinking this morning about how we just never know when the Lord will call upon us or what He will call us to do.  Sometimes we are in really tough circumstances when He does.  

Revelation 1:17-18 reads, 17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

This is what the Lord wants of all of us.  He wants us to allow Him to lift us up.  He wants us to not be afraid, no matter what circumstances we are in.  He wants to give us exactly what we need which is Him.  It is only through His strength we can overcome the obstacles put before us in life.  When we do that, we can say "Glory!" to James 1:2-3:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

The secret to getting to the other side of adversity is allowing the Lord to work in and through us.  That is easier said than done because of how hard the enemy tries to keep us in turmoil BUT it is not impossible.  In both Psalm138:7-8 and Revelation 1:17-18 it tells us that the Lord reaches out His right hand to lift us up.  I read this morning about His right hand:

The right hand of God is figurative. It is symbolic of God’s power and strength; His salvation, and majesty. It demonstrates God’s omnipotence. It shows the saving power of Jesus as God manifest in flesh. It demonstrates that Jesus, who had the saving power of God, has sat down from his saving work to reign as the Almighty God.
"…the saving power of Jesus as God manifest in flesh."  Woo hoo!  He wants to save us!  He wants us to reach out to Him and allow Him to lift us up.  

Dear Jesus,
I praise You for all the times You have lifted me up out of the turmoils of this life.  I praise You for the way You have spoken to me in even some of my darkest hours.  I pray for those going through tough times.  Lord, let this be the day they allow You to lift them up from what they are going through to be saved from the enemies hold.  Speak so clearly to them so they may be able to hear Your voice.  Thank You Jesus for being My Savior.  Amen.


2 comments:

Pastor J. A. Thomas said...

This morning as I was waiting to hear what my message will be, I started singing "You Raise Me UP". When I sat down to write my message, I stared at a blank page. Then I felt the Holy Spirit say, Start with the words, "You raise me up". That led to me being curious about the song. and I came upon your Devotion. Thank you for your faithfulness. I hope you were able to sense and experience Him raising you up during these unprecedented, troubling times the world faces. If not, your are viewing this from where Jesus raised you up to heaven, by His side! Hallelujah!!

Unknown said...

I just broke my fasting and this what God said to me.
In the voice of this singer I heard this son playing in my spirit.
Amazing!