Saturday, January 10, 2015

Matthew 25:21 - "Greater"

5:38 AM…bing…I heard the Lord say, "Pray for Dorothy's family" so I did.  As I prayed, I thought about all the memories they have with her.  Then I thought about the memories I have of her.  When we first came to Willard, she was still able to attend church and living on her own.  Within the first couple of years her health made it be that she was moved to the nursing home.  In those first few years she was such a hoot to visit.  Her quick wittiness was still very much a part of her life.  When the teens and I would visit, she would sing hymns and/or carols with us.  I believe it was two or three Christmases ago that she sang with us for the last time.  Even though she wasn't aware of much going on she sang every word to the songs.  What a blessed memory of that time with her.

As I was praying, the song "Greater" by Mercy Me came to my mind.  I wasn't sure how it tied into praying for Dorothy so I looked up the lyrics…

Bring your tired
Bring your shame
Bring your guilt
Bring your pain
Don't you know that's not your name
You will always be much more to me...

As Dorothy leaves her time on this earth, she is taking her "tired" and her "pain" to One that is "greater" than anything on this earth.  I know this because she lived her life for Him.  I pray that when I get to the end of my time on this earth people will say the same about me.  I pray people will see Jesus in me.  

There'll be days I lose the battle
Grace says that it doesn't matter
‘Cause the cross already won the war
He's greater
He's greater
I am learning to run freely
Understanding just how He sees me
And it makes me love Him more and more
He's greater
He's greater

His greatness is what makes my life worth living.  Yes, "There'll be days I lose the battle" but praise God "Grace says it doesn't matter…"  Woo hoo!  He's greater!  He's greater than anything that comes my way.  His death and resurrection make it be that Dorothy will be in His arms soon.  What a wonderful thought!  Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
I pray for Dorothy's family during this time of her last hours on this earth.  I pray they will be blessed in the knowledge that she is meeting You.  Lord, I praise Your holy name that she has or will be soon hearing those precious words, "Well done good and faithful servant" that you said many years ago in a parable to a servant.  Lord, may her time on this earth end peacefully as she goes into Your arms.  Father, bless her family with an abundance of Your love.  Lord, I also pray for more of You and less of me so that others will see You in me.  Wherever You lead my steps and/or words today, I pray for You to be in them.  Whatever You put before me, I pray for You to be in the center of my day.  Thank You Jesus for being My Greater.  Amen.  


No comments: