Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mark 4:35-41 - "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow"



I was reading in Mark 4 this morning where Jesus calmed the storm.  Something hit me that I have never thought about before.  It is found in verse forty...

35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”  39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.  40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”  41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
Jesus had been teaching the disciples and grooming them to continue on His ministry when He left this earth.  They had seen miracles happen.  They had heard of His love for them from His mouth.  Yet in the midst of the storm they were still afraid.  Where was their faith?  Why did they not trust Him enough to know He would take care of them?

That's how it is for many people.  They say they trust the Lord.  They even live out a life of trust as long as things are going well.  But then when a storm of life hits they panic.  They question Him to the point of sometimes leaving Him.  They don't have peace in the midst of the storm because they don't trust Him.  We must totally trust Him in order to have the peace He desires of us.  We must know He has everything taken care of even in the midst of an illness or a death in our family.  We must know He will lead us down the path He so desires of us when we are facing difficult decisions.  And along with these "musts" come peace.  

I am so grateful that I don't have to understand every little detail of what happens in my life.  I don't have to understand why I have this numbness in my arms.  I don't even have to know what is causing the numbness.  I have peace that whatever is going on is in His hands.  He will reveal to me what I need to know, when I need to know it.  And that's good enough for me.  I don't have to worry about tomorrow because He is already there.  When I came into this depth of trust, life changed for me and for that I am forever grateful.  I don't need to worry about the details but instead need to do His will.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this scripture today.  Thank You for taking me deeper in my trust in You.  Lord, You are so awesome in the way You care of me.  I praise Your Holy Name!  Lord, today, I pray for a healing upon my husband.  I pray You will come down upon him and take away this fever.  Bless him with a healing.  Thank You Jesus!  I think of the words to the song, "I Don't Know About Tomorrow" and am blessed in knowing this is exactly how I live…
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

Thank You Jesus for being My Tomorrow.  Amen.


No comments: