Sunday, January 25, 2015

I Peter 4:1-11 - "You Are God Alone"

Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.  The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.    I Peter 4:1-11


I woke up this morning to the song "You Are God Alone" and felt so blessed.  This morning was one of those days where it would have been so much easier to stay in instead of trying to get my body to function.  I went back to bed after my shower and seriously thought about just staying there.  Then the Lord brought these words to my mind...

And right now, in the good times and bad
You are on Your throne and you are God alone
Unchangeable
Unshakable
Unstoppable
That's what You are

Then Doc asked if I was OK but I didn't respond because I didn't want to be a whiner.  As I lay there, I thought do I push myself or do I give in?  Do I get up and put a smile on my face and pretend like everything is just fine?  Immediately this thought came to my mind and I do believe it was the Lord pushing me to get up and get moving.  It was, "I am Claude McHenry's daughter…so many times he kept moving when he didn't feel like it so I need to get up."  Once again the words to this song went through my mind…

And right now, in the good times and bad
You are on Your throne and you are God alone

I went to church…I didn't put a forced smile on my face but at least I was "nice"…LOL.  Sunday school was a bit interesting because I kept losing my place as we read the scripture but we made it through.  During praise and worship I was struggling and began to cry but then the Lord reminded of words from the song He gave me this morning…

You're the only God who's worthy of everything we can give
You are God that's just the way it is


I couldn't praise Him the way I normally do nor the way He deserves but He was OK with things just the way they were.  I am so grateful for an understanding Father.  

I was so blessed with some words Doc gave in his sermon.  He was preaching about how the Lord gives us gifts that we need to make sure and unwrap.  I know when he shared I Peter 4:11 he was talking about how we need to depend upon the Lord's strength as we use our gifts but because of the morning I was having I thought about how the Lord strengthens me through the days that seem so tough. Doc said, "Plug into His power…plug into His strength."  He shared ways we can plug into His power and strength are through being in His word, praying and living for the Lord.  Wow…was I glad I made the effort to go to church.  Had I not, I would have missed these words.  I Peter 4:11b reads, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.  Praise the Lord for these words this morning that encouraged my heart!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for all of the ways You encouraged me today.  The song, the reminder of my Daddy, the words in Doc's sermon and the hug from Betty.  Lord, You are so awesome.  Thank You, thank You, thank You!  Praise Your Holy Name!!!!  Lord, today has been full of prayer requests for physical issues for many different people.  Please touch them in whatever Your will is for them.  I pray for
  • The two year old who has went through another surgery today...Lord, Your strength in his little body is needed...I also pray for his family as they go through this trial.
  • The elderly woman who fell out of bed….Lord, touch her…be with her family.
  • My Great Uncle who was taken to the hospital with pneumonia…Father, he has lived a long life and I pray for Your mercy…be with his family.
  • The man who is starting with forty days of treatments to try to save his foot…Father, touch not only his physical body but also his spiritual body…give strength to his family.
  • The family who lost a loved one today…draw close to them, Father.
  • The retired pastor who fell and broke his neck…Lord, give wisdom to the doctors about surgery…give him clarity in his thoughts as he deals with Alzheimer's along with this injury…put people there for his family to help them through this tough time.
Lord, thank You for the one healed this morning as Doc prayed and anointed her.  Father, thank You for being my strength through this day.  Lord, I know You know the big plan for me and I praise You for using me as Your servant.  Father, more of You and less of me is the only way I can fill the desires of Your heart.  Thank You for being My Strength.  Amen.


No comments: