Wednesday, January 28, 2015

John 16:33; Rev. 3:10-12; Various - "Overcomer"



In studying Revelation I came across some neat tidbits of information.  John 16:33 is the root verse to overcoming and the promises the Lord has for us. Jesus was an Overcomer and He is the example for us to follow.  He didn't give up when the going got tough but instead continued in fulfilling His Father's will.  When the going gets tough for us, we need to seek the Lord and do His will.  

I did some digging into what an "overcomer" is in the Christian life.  I like the words of Charles Ryrie:

"An overcomer is not someone who has some special power in the Christian life or someone who has learned some secret of victory.  John himself defined an overcomer as a belier in Christ.  Furthermore, while the failure to overcome may be an indication of false profession, the fact a believer does not overcome the struggles of life, does not automatically prove they are not true Christians."

The promises the Lord gives us in His word encourage us, kindle our love for Him and give us the desire to be obedient to His will.  When we follow Him with a surrendered life, we will receive special blessings for our faithful service and our lives of faith.  We will receive His peace.

I have talked to many people who question me on how I can be peaceful when living with a disease, having health issues with family members, going through deaths, etc.  My answer is simple…His peace.  He has blessed me with His peace because I live a life for Him 24/7.  He is my Foundation (I Corinthians 3).  His Spirit lives in and through me.  I have my eye on the bigger prize…

10 Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth. 11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.  Rev. 3:10-12

These verses are full of His promises to all believers who live a life for him.  The promise of eternal life is priceless!  Woo hoo!  He wants to enable each of us to be an overcomer.  I love the words to Mandisa's song "Overcomer"….

Everybody's been down
Hit the bottom, hit the ground
Oh, you're not alone
Just take a breath, don't forget
Hang on to His promises
He wants You to know...

You're an overcomer
Yes, there are times when we feel like we can't go through another thing.  But His book is full of promises that tell us we aren't alone.  He never leaves us.  I found this list of scripture that I thought was useful in times when we feel like He has left us.  He never leaves us…it is us who leave Him.

Here are 10 Scriptural references to the promise that God will never forsake or abandon you and me!

1  Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; "He will never leave you nor forsake you."

2  Deuteronomy 31:8
, The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.  "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

3  Joshua 1:5
, No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you."

4  1Kings 8:57
"May the LORD our God be with us as he was with our fathers; may He never leave us nor forsake us."

5 1Chronicles 28:20
, David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. "Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished."

6  Psalms 37:28
, For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. "They will be protected forever, but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off;"

7  Psalms 94:14
 "For the LORD will not reject his people; he will never forsake his inheritance."

8  Isaiah 41:17
  "The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them."

9  Isaiah 42:16 
 "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

10  Hebrews 13:5
  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for all the promises You not only give through Your word but You also give to me in my life.  I am so blessed to be living a surrendered life with You.  The blessing of peace You gave me when I surrendered is by far the most precious gift I have ever received.  Lord, I pray for more of You in my life so I may share You in a greater way with others.  I pray for more believers to come into a totally surrendered life with You.  I personally know that is the only way to have true peace.  Lord, thank You for taking me down the path of being an "Overcomer" in this life on earth so I can spend life with You in eternity.  Thank You Jesus for being my Promise Maker.  Amen.


No comments: