Friday, June 9, 2023

Psalm 50; Romans 12, 15; Philippians 1; Ephesians 1 - "My Jesus"

I woke up this morning with the words to "My Jesus" going through my mind. Anne Wilson wrote this song as a tribute to the way her brother lived his life. Before his passing he was one who lived out his love for God. It reminds me of the sermon series on being the hands and feet of Jesus. 

He makes a way where there ain't no way
Rises up from an empty grave
Ain't no sinner that He can't save
Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus
His love is strong and His grace is free
And the good news is I know that He
Can do for you what He's done for me
Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus
And let my Jesus change your life

The knowledge of these words is priceless for those who have accepted Jesus into their heart and live for Him. Last night as I was praying God told me to read Psalm 50. It gives direction on how we are to live for God. We will all be accountable to God on the day of judgement. We all have choices to make and the choices we make will determine if we spend eternity in heaven or hell. Matthew Henry writes, Happy are those who come into the covenant of grace, by faith in the Redeemer's atoning sacrifice, and show the sincerity of their love by fruits of righteousness. In verses seven through fifteen of Psalm 50 the Psalmist shows how God doesn't want the sacrifices of the Old Testament or the works of today. He desires obedience to Him. Verses fourteen and fifteen read in The Passion TranslationWhy don’t you bring me the sacrifices I desire? Bring me your true and sincere thanks, and show your gratitude by keeping your promises to me, the Most High. Honor me by trusting in me in your day of trouble. Cry aloud to me, and I will be there to rescue you. Matthew Henry writes: We must acknowledge him in all our ways, depend upon his wisdom, power, and goodness, and refer ourselves wholly to him, and so give him glory. Thus must we keep up communion with God; meeting him with prayers under trials, and with praises in deliverances. I love the words prayers under trials and with praises in deliverances. Paul reminds us in several scripture to pray. He gave us multiple examples of how he prayed. Ephesians 1 shows how he prayed for the Ephesians constantly, Romans 1 shows how he prayed for the Romans at all time. The book of Romans is full of his encouragement to pray and praise. Romans 12:12 reads, Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Chapter fifteen verse thirteen reads, May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. This verse goes along with Psalm 50 in showing the importance of living a life filled with faith and trust. As we live such a life the Holy Spirit will empower us so we can live in obedience to God. Paul's prayers for the Philippians found in chapter one, verses nine through eleven are ones all followers of Christ should have for all people. And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. The end of Psalm 50 tells us we will need to turn away from evil and live a life of righteousness while on this earth so we can live for eternity with Him. The way to live such a life is by following Paul's words in drawing deeper in love with God. Matthew Henry writes: Man's chief end is to glorify God: whoso offers praise, glorifies him, and his spiritual sacrifices shall be accepted. We must praise God, sacrifice praise, put it into the hands of the Priest, our Lord Jesus, who is also the altar: we must be fervent in spirit, praising the Lord. Let us thankfully accept God's mercy, and endeavour to glorify him in word and deed. I praise Him for the way He brings scripture and songs together to speak to me. I praise Him for His love that He lavishes down upon me every day. I strive to live a life pleasing to Him and desire to share such a life with all I meet. 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with the accomplishment at the DMV, Doug being with me as we visited Neiderhiser's, and our time out with Billy, Sierra, and the kids! Thank You for the blessings ahead today! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You ooze out of my words, thoughts, attitude, and actions. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Audrey; Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; and Damon. I pray for: Rebecca as she awaits surgery; Dan as he awaits biopsy results; Sue with the loss of her husband; the Long family; Becky; Russ; and a couple having marital issues. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam and for Dee's granddaughter! I pray special blessings of strength and peace over Leslie and her family. Thank You for being My Jesus! Amen.

No comments: