Monday, February 8, 2021

Psalm 12: II Timothy 3 - "Less Like Me"

God woke me with the direction to read Psalm 12 this morning. This Psalm reminds me of where we are today in this world. Most people would say the reason they are living in 'tough' days is because of lack of money, loss of jobs, the political unrest, etc. But in II Timothy 3 we read about how sin is the true reason for 'tough' days. Paul describes the final days in verse two as people being self-centered lovers of themselves and obsessed with money. He labels people as being prideful, ungrateful and ungodly. Verse four is seen in our world today. With brutal treachery, they will act without restraint, bigoted and wrapped in clouds of their conceit. They will find their delight in the pleasures of this world more than the pleasures of the loving God. It hurts my heart to see people pretending to love God yet living in the ways of the world. It hurts my heart to see believers succumb to the tactics of the enemy. Paul wrote of those who reject the faith with their corrupt minds and arrogant hearts, standing against the truth of God. We are seeing this today over and over again. It is so sad. We should not be surprised by the state of our world. Sin has become prevalent and we must stand against it. We must stand upon the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to protect ourselves from sin getting into our own lives. We must pray for a cleansing in our spirit daily to stay in right relationship with God. Matthew Henry wrote of Psalm 12:

This psalm furnishes good thoughts for bad times; a man may comfort himself with such meditations and prayers. Let us see what makes the times bad, and when they may be said to be so. 

Verses six through eight of Psalm 12 reads in The Message:

God’s words are pure words,
Pure silver words refined seven times
In the fires of his word-kiln,
Pure on earth as well as in heaven.
God, keep us safe from their lies,
From the wicked who stalk us with lies,
From the wicked who collect honors
For their wonderful lies.

Paul's words to Timothy in II Timothy 3:15:17 are words we all need to remember. The direction given to Timothy was written for all of us. We must stay in His Word. It has all the answers for us. When we live by the direction of His Word, we will be living for eternity with Him. Woo hoo!


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace! Thank You for using Your Word to guide me! Thank You for the opportunities You gave me yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for being with my friend Elizabeth as she begins her new adventure today! Thank You for being with my friend Chrissy as she has a procedure today! Thank You for continuing to be with my friend Mike and his family as they grieve the loss of his Momma and my friend Darrell Maclearn as he cares for his parents! Thank You for going before me today and being my physical strength with the 'tough' night I had! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me with more of You! Lord, may You shine brightly through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a new, different way. Thank You for friends who encourage me! Thank You Lord for being My Past, Present, and Future! Amen.

No comments: