Friday, January 22, 2016

Proverbs 31:30 - Momma's Birthday


Today is a special day for a special lady. It's my Momma's 85th birthday! Woo hoo! This picture was from the celebration of her 84th birthday when my sister Linda and I sang an ole Hee Haw song to her. Yes, we like to have fun! My Daddy taught us to do that no matter what is going on in life. In fact, he always said he 'raised' Mom since they got married when she was fifteen and a half so he taught her too! My Momma has seen some tough days in the last 85 years but most importantly she has been blessed by our Heavenly Father. 

Getting married at the age of fifteen and a half and having four babies before she turned twenty-on was no easy task. Especially with being far away from family and for the most part away from anyone as they lived up a holler. Stories have been told my Daddy would leave early in the morning to walk to get a ride for work and be gone until late in the evening. She struggled with loneliness and I believe depression but she didn't give up. The Lord wouldn't let her. She had a ministry right there in her home with her babies. The result? Many grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren!

Having to bury a child was perhaps one of the hardest things she ever had to endure. The pain of the loss was overbearing at times. The anger over the senselessness of the death was something that had to be dealt with from time to time. But once again the Lord did not give up on her. Instead He encouraged her and my Daddy as they took on the role of being parents to two babies that they were intended to be grandparents to. The result? Two children having the blessings of living in a safe home who would not have had such luxury.

Going through multiple health issues including multiple surgeries is something my Momma has dealt with throughout the years. When going in for the fourth cervical surgery in a year, she felt like she was ready to break emotionally and physically. Once again the Lord didn't leave her side. Instead He blessed her with a miraculous healing so the fourth surgery was not needed. The result? She left that hospital with determination to draw closer to the Lord and she did.

Being told she was not physically able to be a nurse didn't stop my Momma. She found a way to help others in another way. She did not graduate high school so she had went back to get her GED in order to become a LPN. Even after bringing two more babies into the home...being over forty...even when she could have opted for disability...she instead took college classes for social work so she could continue working. The result? She worked at Brenn-Field Nursing Center as Activities Director after not being able to continue nursing.

Probably the hardest thing my Momma has been through in life was the loss of my Daddy. They had a strong bond throughout life but as she cared for him with such love in his final months that bond strengthened. Perhaps the greatest part of their love story developed in that last hour of his life when he woke up knowing his time was done on this earth. When she wanted to call someone, he said 'no' because he wanted those last moments to be theirs. The result? The Lord gave my Momma some precious memories to hold onto in the tough days without my Daddy. Words were said that can be remembered...him holding her one final time...that last kiss...what a blessing from the Lord!

My Momma is one special lady. Oh yes, we fought a lot when I was growing up and for that I am sorry. Maybe we were too much alike?!?!? Maybe I was a way the Lord used to bring her closer to Him?!?!?!? No matter what the reason I'm glad she nor the Lord gave up on me! I strive to be as giving as she is. I am one blessed lady to have her as my role model.


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for my Momma. Thank You for watching over her these last eighty-five years. I pray a blessing over her today. I pray You will fill her to overflowing with more of You. I pray You will encourage her when the days get long. Lord, wrap Your loving arms around her so she feels Your strength. Lord, I also pray You will enable me to continue on during tough days as she has shown as my example. Fill me with more of You so people will see/hear You in me. Father, thank You for being The One To Bless Me. Amen.

No comments: