Thursday, April 30, 2015

Genesis 15:6; Joshua 12 - "On Fire"

I came across some interesting information in my studies of the Old Testament. Some people might say, "well, duh...I knew that!" But it is definitely something new to me. Not only that the more I think about it the more it excites me to think about. Our textbook brings out the fact of Abraham being a polytheist when God called him. This is referenced to Joshua 24:2f. The text continues to say the “…type of cult he followed is unknown” and “…He abandoned his old religious ways in order to follow God with single-minded devotion”. He left religion as he knew it with multiple gods to having just one God.

Wow! Abraham, who was called by God to be a great leader, did not always follow God. I have read and studied the Bible my whole life and never picked up on this tidbit of knowledge. I wonder why God revealed it to me now. I wonder what lesson I am to learn from it. There are some questions that come to my mind as I think about Abraham leaving his religion and following God...
  • How did God get Abram to leave his country? 
  • Did the promise of blessings get him to leave? 
  • Was Abraham’s faith in God great from the moment he began to follow Him?

In my textbook it tells us that Abraham was "a paradigm of faith." It talks about his obedience and trust in the God who called him. Genesis 15:6 shows that Abraham not only trusted God but he also had faith in His promises. It took great faith when God told him to sacrifice his son Isaac. Abraham proved his obedience through that situation and God proved His faithfulness through it. 


I am amazed by the knowledge Abraham was not always a follower of God. It is kind of like when you see someone who knows so much about the Bible and you think they were raised in the church only to find out they are a new believer. Their knowledge comes from studying the Word and allowing the Holy Spirit to reveal things to them. It does not always take a long time to come into deep knowledge of the Word. But it does take obedience to God.

I want more of Him...more of the knowledge about Him...more of His Spirit to empower me. I was so amazed how He gave me "On Fire" this morning...woo hoo!!!! Abraham had great faith and great trust in God. He obeyed even when what he was asked to do was so very hard. He was used by God in some mighty ways. That's the desire of my heart. I want to be set on fire for Him.

Set me on fire 
Set me on fire 
I want to hold God's people close 
Want to feel the power of Jesus' name 
Set me on fire
Set me on fire

Dear Jesus,
I praise Your Holy Name for the way You call us to be followers. I also praise Your Holy Name for the way You reveal things to us. Father, open my eyes to what You want for me to receive from this knowledge. Give me insight as to how I am to use it to further Your Kingdom. Lord, You are so awesome and so great! I was thinking this morning as the rain is coming down about how You are the rain coming down in my life. I don't want to cover my head but instead want to soak up more of You. Father, fill me to overflowing with more of You and less of me. Lord, I pray for the ones going through funerals today. Be so very close to them. I also ask for physical strength to get through this day. Only Lord, I don't want to just get through it but the desire of my heart is to be a blessing to others through Your empowerment. Bless Brother Dan as he comes this evening. I pray people will come expecting and be blessed by how You work through him. Thank You Jesus for being The One To Bless Me. Amen.



No comments: