Friday, April 17, 2015

Psalm 118:24 - "Shout To The Lord"


This morning before my feet even hit the floor the Lord had this verse going through my mind. He knew I needed to be reminded of the importance to rejoice. Physically, I don't feel like rejoicing. Mentally, I don't feel like rejoicing. Emotionally, I don't feel like rejoicing. But thankfully this scripture inspires me spiritually to rejoice. It's hard to rejoice when there are so many hurting people. How can the family who are burying their loved one today rejoice? How can the spouse watching his wife deteriorate from cancer rejoice? How can the spouse watching her husband or the mother with her teenage son struggling for life rejoice? How can the couple with the loss of the husband's job rejoice? How can the man who is struggling with the loss of his marriage and having severe physical issues rejoice? How can the one who within a week went from feeling healthy to having surgery to remove cancer this morning rejoice? How can the one who is undergoing treatments for her MS rejoice? How can I rejoice when I feel like I can't go on?

There is only one answer and that is in the Lord. Matthew Henry writes about Psalm 118...

Whether the believer traces back his comfort to the everlasting goodness and mercy of God, or whether he looks forward to the blessing secured to him, he will find abundant cause for joy and praise. Every answer to our prayers is an evidence that the Lord is on our side; and then we need not fear what man can do unto us; we should conscientiously do our duty to all, and trust in him alone to accept and bless us. Let us seek to live to declare the works of God, and to encourage others to serve him and trust in him. Such were the triumphs of the Son of David, in the assurance that the good pleasure of the Lord should prosper in his hand. We will rejoice and be glad in the Lord's day; not only that such a day is appointed, but in the occasion of it, Christ's becoming the Head. Sabbath days ought to be rejoicing days, then they are to us as the days of heaven. Let this Savior be my Savior, my Ruler. Let my soul prosper and be in health, in that peace and righteousness which his government brings. Let me have victory over the lusts that war against my soul; and let Divine grace subdue my heart. The duty which the Lord has made, brings light with it, true light. The duty this privilege calls for, is here set forth; the sacrifices we are to offer to God in gratitude for redeeming love, are ourselves; not to be slain upon the altar, but living sacrifices, to be bound to the altar; spiritual sacrifices of prayer and praise, in which our hearts must be engaged. The psalmist praises God, and calls upon all about him to give thanks to God for the glad tidings of great joy to all people, that there is a Redeemer, even Christ the Lord. In him the covenant of grace is made sure and everlasting.
The Lord is with us through the good days and the tough days. His strength is what carries us through all days. He is our Comfort. He is our Strength. He is our Savior. I think of the song Daniel and Branden sang at Sharon's funeral, Shout To The Lord

My Jesus, my Savior
Lord, there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
My comfort, my shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You
Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You

We have the promise of eternal life when we live for the Lord. Just as Matthew Henry reminded me in his words this morning, we must present ourselves as living sacrifices each and every day. Today is definitely one of 'those days' where I feel I can't 'do' the day. But I don't have to 'do' the day on my own. The Lord is with me. His strength is my strength. I will rejoice in Him and know that He will be blessed. How will the people going through tough times get through this day? Hopefully with the same knowledge.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You encourage me. Thank You for the reminders You put before me. Thank You for loving me in such a way that I have no doubt You are taking care of me. Lord, I know I can't 'do' today on my own but I also know Your Strength will enable me to be a blessing to many today. I pray for all of the ones going through tough days. I pray they will lean upon Your strength. Father, You know what is on the schedule today, who I will come in contact with, opportunities You will give me to bless others and how my day will go. Will You please give me more of You and less of me so I can be more effective? Will You please fill me to overflowing? Lord, will You please bless my efforts to be You to others? Father, I can't 'do' this day without Your supernatural power coming down upon me. I thank You in advance for enabling me to do Your will. Thank You Jesus for being My Superman! Amen.


No comments: