Monday, April 27, 2015

James 1:2-7 - "Need You Now"

Today is one of "those days"...a day where I feel like I can't put one foot ahead of the other. It is a day where I just plain out feel lousy. How appropriate for Plumb's song "Need You Now" to come to my mind...

How many times have you heard me cry out
"God please take this?"
How many times have you given me strength to 
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now

Some would say I am having a pity party for myself but I don't think so. I know I have the Lord to give me His strength to get through this day. I also know He will direct me as to what I need to do or not do. As I sing this song and cry out to the Lord, I know I don't need Him just today but I need Him everyday. I don't need Him just for the MS issues I deal with but I need Him for every aspect of life.

This morning I think of James 1:2-7...

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 

Matthew Henry writes: Christianity teaches men to be joyful under troubles: such exercises are sent from God's love; and trials in the way of duty will brighten our graces now, and our crown at last. Let us take care, in times of trial, that patience, and not passion, is set to work in us: whatever is said or done, let patience have the saying and doing of it. When the work of patience is complete, it will furnish all that is necessary for our Christian race and warfare. We should not pray so much for the removal of affliction, as for wisdom to make a right use of it. And who does not want wisdom to guide him under trials, both in regulating his own spirit, and in managing his affairs? 

As I ponder on these verses, I am blessed in the knowledge that as I persevere through trials on this earth I will draw closer to the Lord. I also know as I persevere on this earth I will  spend eternity with the Lord. Another thing I get from this passage is that I need to expect and not doubt when I ask from the Lord. These words are rather easy for me to read and understand because I've been living them. But what about the people who are in difficult situations and don't have such a relationship with the Lord? How do they get through tough days? Who do they turn to? Even those who know the Lord still struggle many times. Today I am praying for:

  • the family dealing with one in jail
  • the family dealing with a death yesterday
  • the man dealing with an alcoholic father
  • the man with severe medical issues that the doctors can't figure out
  • the woman with severe pain that nothing has helped
  • the family of the one dying
  • the parent dealing with a teen who is questioning life and their worth
  • the young lady who is dealing with suicidal thoughts
  • the parents dealing with a rebellious teen
  • the wife with the unsaved husband
  • the family dealing with the tragic death of a loved one
  • the family dealing with suffer injuries to a loved one
  • the teen taking chemo
There are just so many hurting people who need to cry out to the Lord. We all need to seek His will and His direction with each and every situation we deal with on this earth if we want to spend eternity with Him.

Dear Jesus,
I pray for a blessing upon my physical body today. I pray for You to fill me up with Your strength not only physically but also emotionally and mentally. It seems when my physical body is suffering that all of me suffers. Father, I need more of You and less of me in order to be a blessing to You. There are just so many who need to feel Your presence in a mighty way today. Thank You Jesus for being My Encourager! Amen.

No comments: