Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Psalm 23, Proverbs 3:5-6 and Philippians 4:4-7 - "I Am Not Alone"


No matter what we are going through on this earth if we believe in the Lord we have hope. If we are experiencing what appears to be our last days here, we have hope in knowing we will spend eternity with Him. If we are dealing with fear of the unknown, we have hope that He will guide us. If we are having a hard time in relationships, we have hope that He will intervene and restore them. No matter what, we have hope. 

Psalm 23 is a comfort no matter what we are going through. It encourages us that He is Our Shepherd. He will care for us. He will take us through the valleys of life and lead us to greener pastures. Sometimes the greener pastures are on this earth and sometimes they are in heaven. There are seventeen promises found in Psalm 23 that we need to claim.

1) “The Lord is my Shepherd = That's Relationship!
2) I shall not want = That's Supply!
3) He maketh me to lie down in green pastures = That's Rest!
4) He leadeth me beside the still waters = That's Refreshment!
5) He restoreth my soul = That's Healing!
6) He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness = That's Guidance!
7) For His name sake = That's Purpose!
8) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death = That's Testing!
9) I will fear no evil = That's Protection!
10) For Thou art with me = That's Faithfulness!
11) Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me = That's Discipline!
12) Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies = That's Hope!
13) Thou anointest my head with oil = That's Consecration!
14) My cup runneth over = That's Abundance!
15) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life = That's Blessing!
16) And I will dwell in the house of the Lord = That's Security!
17) Forever” = That's Eternity!

How can we claim these promises and live them out even when in a deep dark valley? By trusting in the Lord. First we must believe in Him, then we must trust Him. He knows what is best for us. We must make sure we believe in Him and have asked for a cleansing from our sin. Then we must live a life for Him where we consciously work at not allowing the enemy any foothold into our life. Proverbs 3:5-6 encourages us to Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will set your path straight. We may not understand why we are going through a particular valley or why the Lord won't take away the pain. But not necessarily do we need to understand the why. We just need to trust Him. He knows what is best for us. This is easier said than done but once we do it we will receive such a peace that is unexplainable. Paul talks about it in Philippians 4:4-7.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
We can receive His peace when we believe in Him, trust in Him, pray to Him and allow Him to have control of our lives. We don't have to worry or be anxious about what may or may not happen when we trust in Him to be in control of our life. How can we rejoice when in a valley of life? It isn't easy but when we find reason to rejoice the enemy will flee. When we rejoice in the Lord, His peace will come down upon us in a mighty way.
As we live a life of trusting Him we can be reassured that He will never leave us. He is always here with us. I love the words to Kari Jobe's song "I Am Not Alone"...
When I walk through deep waters
I know that you will be with me
When I'm standing in the fire
I will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadow
Oh I will not fear
(Chorus 2x)
I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me
(Verse 2)
In the midst of deep sorrow
I see your light is breaking through
The dark night will not over take me
I am pressing into you
Lord you fight my every battle
And I will not fear
(Bridge 4x)
You amaze me
Redeem me
You call me as your own
You're my strength
You're my defender
You're my refuge in the storm
Through these trials
You have always been faithful
You bring healing to my soul

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for these words from Psalm 23, Proverbs 3:5-6 and Philippians 4:4-7. Thank You for the reminder of how Your peace is where I want to live. I don't want to live in a world of worry or fretting. I don't want to live in a world of chaos. I know the way to living a life in Your peace comes through loving You, trusting You and allowing You to guide me. Father, more of You and less of me is the only way this can be accomplished. Lord, I am standing on the promises of Psalm 23. I am expecting from You to carry me through the valleys of life. Not only am I expecting You to carry me through the valleys that come my way but most importantly I am giving them to You to lead me through them. Thank You Jesus for the knowledge that You never leave me. Thank You Jesus for being My Great Shepherd. Amen.


No comments: