Thursday, April 16, 2015

I Peter 3:1-7 - "Burn Bright"


I Peter 3:1-7 was part of our study last night in group. I am so blessed to be the wife of a godly man who is the leader of our home. It wasn't that way in the beginning of our marriage because I didn't allow him to be in that role. What a blessing when the Lord revealed to me the importance of him being our spiritual leader and then revealing to him that is what he needed to do. Last night we talked about how many today see their worth in their outward body instead of their inner body. That is sad. Whether we are male or female we need to realize it is not our physical bodies that are the most important. It doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of ourselves but it does mean our souls are more important than our physical bodies. 

Living a life of holiness is the perfect way for us to live. When we have the Lord in our hearts, the joy will overflow from us. He will shine through us. I think of the words to the song called "Burn Bright"...

You were made to shine
You were made for life
Even if you've lost your way
Turn and you will hear love say
You were made for more
So much more
Child of everlasting light
Made to blaze away the night
So baby, burn bright
Burn bright

You can rise up from the ashes
Make something beautiful
Of all the broken pieces
And I'm believing you'll come running
Into the arms of Jesus


There are so many people that need this reminder but especially some who are in broken marriages. We all need to be reminded from time to time the importance of letting our light shine for the Lord. With today's schedules, children, work, everything that pulls us in all different directions we need reminded to even spend quality time with our spouse. The other day when I heard my husband say "I need to make an appointment with her" I was crushed. I don't want him to feel that way. Life has been so busy lately with ministering to others yet we need to remember to make the time for us. We have not taken our Sabbath since being back from Israel due to church activities, funerals and hospital visits. I told him the other day when we see Friday is taken we have to pick another day. Yet as we look at the calendar there is no other day in the week where there isn't something going on. We HAVE to make it a priority for us. If we don't, we will be no good to anyone else. Our marriage has to be a priority. Time with one another without being pulled in several directions must be a priority. 

I want to be a wife my husband and the Lord will be blessed by. I like the words of I Peter 3:5-6...

For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

I want to be like Sarah who obeyed her husband. The desire of my heart is to be adorned with joy which will flow from me. I pray for more wives to have that same desire. I also pray for more husbands to take on the role of being the spiritual leader of their home. This song is written about an individual going through a time of falling away from the Lord. But I see how it can apply to a marriage that is falling apart. When we shine for the Lord, He will enable us to "rise up from the ashes" of a hurting marriage and "make something beautiful of all the broken pieces" as we allow the Lord to work in and through us.
Dear Jesus,
My heart breaks for those who are hurting in their marriages. I pray for them to submit to You in all they think and do so You can heal them. I pray for the marriages that have already fallen apart to be restored. I pray for the marriages who are struggling to have their eyes open to the way of healing. I pray strength for the two who are watching their spouses struggling for life. I pray for the couple who are dealing with the loss of a job. I pray for the couple who are dealing with infertility. Oh my...so many couples going through some really tough stuff. Lord, I also pray for You to open our eyes up to making sure we have time for one another. I pray for wisdom on how to have our Sabbath. Lord, I also pray for more of You and less of me so that I will "Burn Bright" for You. I want people to see my inner joy come through in my outward appearance. The desire of my heart is to be a blessing to both You and to my husband. Lord, open my eyes to what I need to do for him. Give me words of encouragement during tough times. Bless me with ways to bless him. Thank You Jesus for being My Joy. Amen.

No comments: