Friday, April 3, 2015

Mark 15-16 - "I Am Not Alone"


Good Friday...it seems appropriate that it is dreary out today. As I think on the suffering my Savior took I become overwhelmed. To think that He loves me enough to suffer as He did is amazing. Today is a day to ponder on that love. It is a day to think about what He went through for each and every one of us.


As I stood at Golgotha and thought about what He went through, I was in tears. When I thought about the physical beatings He went through, I shuddered. As I looked in the tomb where He laid, I wondered what those last hours of His life were like. We see people today going through the process of death and wonder how their bodies can continue. But to think of what He went through with the beatings can't compare to anything anyone on this earth goes through. The suffering would have been so intense. Mark 15 gives an account of just part of what He went through...

16 The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers. 17 They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him. 18 And they began to call out to him, “Hail, king of the Jews!” 19 Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. 20 And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.
When I went to bed last night I was singing Kari Jobe's "I Am Not Alone" and it was with me when I woke up this morning. Did my Savior feel this way as He was going through the time of His death? Did He know His Father was with Him? Toward the end of the suffering He cried out "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" (vs 34) Did He feel God's presence come over Him as He took His last breathe?

When I walk through deep waters
I know that You will be with me
When I'm standing in the fire
I will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadow
I will not fear

I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me

Dear Jesus,
Words can't even begin to express my gratitude for what You went through when You died for mankind. Father, I praise Your Holy Name for the sacrifice You made. Lord, I pray You felt Your Father's presence during that time. I pray when You called out to Him He was there for You. Lord, enable me to be more of what You want me to be by filling me with more of You and less of me. Father, I praise Your Holy Name for the way Your presence gives me comfort in times of storms, in times of loneliness, in times of wavering doubt. Thank You Jesus for being My Savior.  Amen.




No comments: