Saturday, April 18, 2015

Acts 8:29, 30a - "I Will Follow"


One of my favorite places to spend time at when in Jerusalem was the Wailing Wall. We were able to go there once to pray at the wall and a couple times to just be there and experience the moment. The one time we were there we saw a group of tourists who were so excited to be there. They were singing and dancing...excited. 



That excitement was seen throughout the time there in many people. Of course, not all of the people in Jerusalem believe in God but whoever or whatever they believe in they are passionate about. I was saddened to think of Christians in America. Too many are fine with status quo. Whatever they have done for the last 'x' amount of years is fine. Staying stagnant in their relationship with the Lord is fine. Not pursuing growth in their spiritual walk is fine because they are content with salvation being enough. I am thankful for the day the Lord showed me it is not enough. Being sanctified through and through, entirely, totally...whatever terminology you want to use...that is what the Lord expects of us. When we surrender to Him totally, He will bless us. He blesses me everyday by the way He uses me.

Today is Saturday. For the Jews it is their Sabbath. I love hearing the words "Shabbat Shalom."  When one is greeted with these words, it is a greeting of peace. It is the standard greeting for Jews to greet one another from sundown on Friday through sundown on Saturday.  Shabbat is more than a day off. It is a day set apart from the normal activities "for introspection, spiritual growth, and renewal" that is strictly adhered to in cultures other than ours. When we visited Tiberius on a Saturday, the stores were all closed until that evening. I can't imagine how people in America would react to that happening! 

The more I reflect on life in Israel and life in America I am saddened by the lack of depth in the spiritual walk of people here in America. I am saddened by the lack of passion for many when it comes to God. Many have passion for other things such as their job, sports, etc. but it is not the same for God. I want more passion. I want the Lord to know I am passionate for Him, without any doubt. I think of Philip in Acts 8:29, 30a.

"Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join yourself to this chariot. And Philip ran there unto him..."

Philip was passionate in listening to the direction of the Holy Spirit. When the Holy Spirit told him to go, he ran! He didn't second guess if he was hearing from the Lord. He didn't ask 'when' or 'how' but went as he was told. Not only did he go but he ran right then to do as directed. I was pondering upon this and thought about how many times in the past the Holy Spirit directed me and I tarried. I can't say it always happens but I can say that it happens more than not that I know when the Holy Spirit speaks to me and I do as directed. I don't want to miss any blessings for others or myself. In the story of Philip and the eunuch they both were blessed through Philip's passion to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.

In the song "I Will Follow" there are lyrics that explain what happens when we follow the Lord...

In you, there's life everlasting
In you, there's freedom for my soul
In you, there's joy, unending joy
And I will follow you


What a blessing to know we will live with Him in eternity when we follow Him. It is also a blessing to know we can have freedom and joy when we follow Him. Is following enough? I don't believe so. I believe we have to follow Him with passion and determination. Passion that will enable us to live as He desires of us. Determination to share Him with others in such a way they will want what we have in Him. 

Dear Jesus,
Shalom...peace...the only way to experience it in the fullest is to be passionate for You in a way that will allow You to work in and through me. The desire of my heart is to have more of a passion for You. I know it will take more of You and less of me to be inside of me. Lord, fill me up to overflowing. Father, I pray for not only myself but for other believers too. Lord, open eyes up to obstacles in the way of You having full relationship with people. Close doors that need closed in their lives so they can be more focused on You. Thank You Jesus for being My Shalom. Amen.


No comments: