Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Psalm 91 - "Psalm 91"

Twice in the middle of the night the Lord woke me up with an urgency to pray for protection. The first time I thought it was just me because I fell asleep watching a newscast about the rioting in Baltimore on TV. I prayed and fell back asleep only to be woken up again with the urgency. Only this time I asked the Lord who I was suppose to pray for. He directed me to pray for protection for...

  • the situation in Baltimore
  • the situation in Mansfield
  • those headed to hell
  • those with serious needs who are hurting themselves through cutting, alcohol, drugs, etc
  • the ones in abusive situations
This was one of those times when I didn't ask for specific names. I just didn't think I could handle knowing names of specific individuals that would fall into these categories. But oh how I prayed. I prayed for not only physical protection but most importantly for spiritual protection. I prayed for those who don't know the Lord to come to know Him. I prayed for believers to be put into the paths of those who need to see the Lord in a mighty way.

The Lord took me to Psalm 91 this morning...

1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
My God, in whom I trust!”
3For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper
And from the deadly pestilence.
4He will cover you with His pinions,
And under His wings you may seek refuge;
His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.
5You will not be afraid of the terror by night,
Or of the arrow that flies by day;
6Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.
7A thousand may fall at your side
And ten thousand at your right hand,
But it shall not approach you.
8You will only look on with your eyes
And see the recompense of the wicked.
9For you have made the Lord, my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place.
10No evil will befall you,
Nor will any plague come near your tent.
11For He will give His angels charge concerning you,
To guard you in all your ways.
12They will bear you up in their hands,
That you do not strike your foot against a stone.
13You will tread upon the lion and cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you will trample down.
14“Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name.
15He will call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
16With a long life I will satisfy him
And let him see My salvation.”

I love how this Psalm starts with a promise. When we live in Him, He will protect us from harm. That doesn't mean harm won't come our way but it means when harm does come our way we will be able to have peace in Him. Matthew Henry writes it so well:


He that by faith chooses God for his protector, shall find all in him that he needs or can desire. And those who have found the comfort of making the Lord their refuge, cannot but desire that others may do so. The spiritual life is protected by Divine grace from the temptations of Satan, which are as the snares of the fowler, and from the contagion of sin, which is a noisome pestilence. Great security is promised to believers in the midst of danger. Wisdom shall keep them from being afraid without cause, and faith shall keep them from being unduly afraid. Whatever is done, our heavenly Father's will is done; and we have no reason to fear. God's people shall see, not only God's promises fulfilled, but his threatenings. 

Just as this Psalm starts with a promise it also ends with a promise. He will deliver us from anything that comes our way. As we live on this earth we have His deliverance coming through times of trials. The exciting part will be when we live in heaven. Then our days of trials will end.  Matthew Henry writes:


They by prayer constantly call upon him. His promise is, that he will in due time deliver the believer out of trouble, and in the mean time be with him in trouble. The Lord will manage all his worldly concerns, and preserve his life on earth, so long as it shall be good for him. For encouragement in this he looks unto Jesus. He shall live long enough; till he has done the work he was sent into this world for, and is ready for heaven. Who would wish to live a day longer than God has some work to do, either by him or upon him? A man may die young, yet be satisfied with living. But a wicked man is not satisfied even with long life. At length the believer's conflict ends; he has done for ever with trouble, sin, and temptation.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for waking me in the night to pray. Thank You for not giving me specific individuals to pray for in these situations. Sometimes Lord You tell me things that are just to hard to deal with. I know, I know. You are there for me to give me what I need to handle them....it's just hard at times. Father, once again, I pray for protection over these ones. I pray protection over spiritual needs to come through people coming to the point in their life where they desire to live for you instead of self. Lord, this morning You have brought a couple specific individuals to my mind to pray for. I pray for the two who are dealing with mental issues...Lord if there is anything in their lives that is of satan I pray for that to be removed. If there are demons from their past, remove them. If there are things from their present causing a separation between You and them, remove them. I also think of a couple situation with physical abuse in relationships. Lord, protect not only their physical bodies but protect them spiritual bodies. Put people before them who will make a difference in their lives. Lord, use me to make a difference in people's lives. More of You and less of me, Father. Thank You for being My Protector! Amen.


No comments: