Monday, April 6, 2015

John 20:8-9; Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Jesus Lover of My Soul"

Yesterday in the sunrise service there was a scripture that really stood out to me. In came from the twentieth chapter of the book of John where the disciples were told by Mary Magdalene that Jesus was not in the tomb. The key is found in verses eight and nine.  

Finally the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed. (They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.)

They didn't understand but yet they still believed. Oh my! There have been so many times I have been asked a question about the Bible that I couldn't answer or have been in a group where people were having a hard time understanding a specific scripture (i.e. Revelation). As I think back on those times I remember thinking to myself and sometimes even saying, "I don't have to understand it. I just have to believe it." That's what the disciples did. They believed even though they couldn't comprehend. Believing comes through trusting. We are given a promise in Proverbs 3:5-6 that when we trust in the Lord He will lead us. When we allow Him to give us direction, He will lead us down the exact path we are to go. This type of trust comes from living a life of surrender. It comes from living a life for Him instead of ourselves.


The song "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" comes to my heart this morning. These words are the exact way I live my life, each and every day. In order to know I will spend eternity with Him I must be totally surrendered to Him. It's not enough to be saved...we must be sold out to Him. We must live a life of holy living in order to be graced by all the blessings He has for us.

It's all about You, Jesus
And all this is for You
For Your glory and your fame
It's not about me
As if You should do things my way
You alone are God
And I surrender to your ways

Jesus, lover of my soul
All consuming fire is in Your gaze
Jesus, I want you to know
I will follow you all my days
For no one else in history is like you
And history itself belongs to you
Alpha and Omega, You have loved me
And I will share eternity with You


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, Your mercy, Your grace...but most of all thank You for Your holiness as the example for me to live by. Lord, You are so awesome in the way You guide me throughout my days. I praise You for all the ways You lead me. Father, You know the hurt in my heart over a situation I continue to deal with. I pray for a healing. I am trusting You, Lord, for resolve in this situation. I am leaning on You to give me what I need in order to deal with this...your mental touch...your emotional touch. Thank You Jesus! Father, thank You for being The One I Trust In. Amen.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, what will these times be if Jesus were not the lover of our heart? If Jesus were not besides me , to comfort me , His rod and His staff, I will be lost , a complete basket case ! The list of negatives abound life without Jesus as the center of one’s life. I for one can easily be swallowed by the raging fear and uncertainties this pandemic is causing . All the death toll in the news , plus the sad news of people that I know and love in dire danger of losing their life , job, sanity , house, etc because of COVID -19 bit to mention causes other than the virus . Suddenly , we find ourselves treading unfamiliar and unpleasant lifestyles of distancing ourselves from family and grandkids , closest of friends and church family. But , Jesus....He is the Lover of my soul , the Betrothed , the One promised to us forever thru the Holy Spirit has come to shield us all day long ( Deuteronomy 33:12,) . He says I will not perish and promises me eternal life. His Father, my Father is stronger than anyone ( and that includes any virus or any threat) . Nothing and no one will He allow to snatch me out of the Fathers’ hand . ( John 10:28,30) .
Jesus as the Lover of my soul completes me as a woman . Like a woman engaged to be married to a man she deeply loves and admires, problems fade into the background , they will not dampen my spirit for I know that my joy is not dictated by my circumstances. My faith in Jesus overrides all the unpleasantness in this world. Illness does not define me anymore, failure and momentary setbacks do not bind me. I choose to rejoice in Him always for He is near. ( Philippians 4:4-5) I belong to Jesus . I am His beloved and He is mine . ( Song of Solomon, 6:3, 7:10)

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen. I'm so blessed by reading this

Kelly said...

Beautifully written and straight from His Spirit. Thank you for uplifting me today by reading this. God bless all of His chosen ones!

Karen said...

I Love this devotional...THANK YOU SO MUCH!❤🕊❤

Unknown said...

HE IS MY LOVER OF MY SOUL...LIFTER OF MY HEAD...❤