Monday, August 19, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Romans 8 - "Build My Life"


This morning the Lord took me to Romans 8 to ponder upon. I read it in different versions and realized the purpose of Him taking me to this Scripture was to encourage me. The first nine verses encourage me to walk in the Spirit and not my flesh. They remind me it takes inward obedience with having His Holy Spirit dwelling in my heart to live the life God has called me to live. Matthew Henry writes of such living, "A sanctified soul is a living soul; and that life is peace." This reminded me of the peace I have as I walk a life of obedience. Verses ten through seventeen encourages me to 'keep on keepin' on' in life on this earth so I will have life with Him for eternity in heaven. They encourage me to live life with Christ working in and through me. Verses eighteen through twenty-five encourage me to remember whatever I am going through right now is just temporary. There will be no disease is heaven. Therefore, we will have perfect bodies. Woo hoo! There will be no sin in heaven nor will there be turmoil. I honestly cannot imagine such a world but I sure am ready to live there! I get so tired of seeing children hurt by the ways of their parents. I get tired of fighting against the world in ministry. I get so worn as I deal with the same situations over and over again. But I must remember these times of trials and tribulations will not be a part of my life forever. I have hope in eternity with Christ. I have heaven to look forward to. I must allow Him to fill me with His peace in the midst of the storms of life. Yesterday I mentioned in my sermon the importance of memorizing Scripture so when tough times come we can pull it from our memory bank. The enemy hates Scripture. He does not want anything to do with it. When we can say ones like II Timothy 1:7, it not only knocks the enemy down but it empowers us. When we say ones like Philippians 4:13, it strengthens us. Scripture in our heart is key to getting through the tough times on this earth. The Holy Spirit uses Scripture to empower us through such times. I love what Matthew Henry writes about verses twenty-six and twenty-seven of Romans 8:

Though the infirmities of Christians are many and great, so that they would be overpowered if left to themselves, yet the Holy Spirit supports them. The Spirit, as an enlightening Spirit, teaches us what to pray for; as a sanctifying Spirit, works and stirs up praying graces; as a comforting Spirit, silences our fears, and helps us over all discouragements. The Holy Spirit is the spring of all desires toward God, which are often more than words can utter. The Spirit who searches the hearts, can perceive the mind and will of the spirit, the renewed mind, and advocates his cause. The Spirit makes intercession to God, and the enemy prevails not.

Woo hoo! "The Spirit makes intercession to God, and the enemy prevails not." This shows the importance of having the Holy Spirit in our lives. When we live such a life, we can stand upon verse twenty-eight with confidence.

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

It is important to read this verse correctly. It does not say God will give us everything we want in life. I believe it means God will bless us when we live out His will for our life. Blessings come in various forms. Sometimes they come through a day of rest or a date with your hubby. Sometimes they come in tangible ways such as a card with a check from a person you've never met in person. Sometimes they come in clean mammogram results. No matter what way they come, you can be assured God is behind them, especially in the midst of turmoil. I like what Henry writes about verse thirty-one. "While God is for us, and we keep in His love, we may with holy boldness defy all the powers of darkness." The enemy hates our closeness to God. He hates when we live in the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. But He cannot stop us living such a life as we lean into God for His strength as the enemy fights us. This knowledge makes me want to live out II Timothy 1:7 even more than ever. In The New King James Version the last verses of Romans 8 read:

37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Woo hoo! We are more than conquerors...nothing can separate us from God! The enemy will not win when we live in the Spirit. God always wins! Woo hoo! This chapter encourages me greatly to live in the Spirit. It encourages me to allow the Holy Spirit to empower me to stomp the enemy down when he comes knocking at my door. Woo hoo! I am empowered through Him!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You so much for this chapter of encouragement this morning! The enemy is trying to tear my husband down through this cancer but I am praying against such action. I am praying for him to feel the empowerment of Your Holy Spirit in a new, different way. I am praying a refreshment in Doc's spirit throughout this day. Lord, cleanse us so You can fill us. May You be greater than anything that comes our way today. May Your empowerment come down upon us. Father, I pray the same for all who walk in Your Spirit. I also pray for believers who have taken the next step to be cleansed and empowered to do so today. Thank You for the opportunities You gave me yesterday to share You with others. Thank You for the sermon You laid on my heart and for those who received it. Thank You for the opportunities You will put before me today. May I not miss any. Thank You for being My Life! Amen.

No comments: