Saturday, August 17, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 147 - "Take Me Back"


If I would not have been raised knowing God loves me, I would not be living the life I live today. Growing up we were in church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, and any other time the church doors were open. But just going to church did not make me a Christian. Going to church helps feed the  spiritual life and gives encouragement through other believers but it takes more for a person to be Christ-like. I saw my Momma and Daddy living a life of deep faith through many 'tough' times in life. Both of them had multiple health issues and usually there was one of the other of them in the hospital every year. I remember one time when I was a senior in high school where my Daddy was in one hospital in another city, I was put in the local hospital with pneumonia, and Momma was put in another hospital in a third city. Life was crazy but the one thing that was a constant was their faith in God.  Car accidents, health issues, deaths of loved ones, my sister being murdered...nothing took them away from God. Our church family was a great support through it all. The different pastors we had frequented our house not just for calls in the tough times but for family meals. I remember when I was getting ready to start my freshman year of high school and there was a youth revival at our church. My Momma worked and since it was summer I was the one to get the house cleaned and the food finished up for dinner as we had the three preachers for dinner one night. I didn't feel good all day but got everything accomplished. When my Momma got home, she tried to convince me to go to the doctor but I didn't want to miss church. In the middle of the game time I was hit with horrendous pain and ended up in the hospital to have my appendix removed. I was the most upset over not being able to participate in the youth revival! I loved going to church. I loved having my parents go to church. I loved feeling like the people of the church were my friends and loved me. Times have changed in many families. Going to church is put on the back burner to allow time for other activities. A lot of the other activities are not even done as a family. The family unit is torn apart and goes in different directions. This morning I woke to these words...

Take me back to the place that feels like home
To the people I can depend on
To the faith that's in my bones
Take me back to a preacher and a verse
Where they've seen me at my worst
To the love I had at first
Oh I want to go to church


As I was singing this song, I thought about how many people in today's society do not have the memories I have of going to church. It seems like my childhood of growing up in the sixties and seventies is very different those who grew up in the eighties and nineties. It is sad to talk with people who never had the opportunity to go to church growing up. They missed out on so much that could have made a big difference in their life. The song continues...

Oh, more than an obligation 
It's our foundation
The family of God
I know it's hard, but we need each other
We're sisters and brothers 


Going to church should not be something we 'have to do' but instead should be something we desire to do. I love the excitement of the children and teens who come on Tuesday nights. For most, it is the only church they know. That saddens me yet I am glad we are providing Tuesday nights for them. It has been and continues to be challenging with Doc's cancer situation. I keep praying for God to open the door for someone to drive the church van so we can get back into our 'normal' at the house. It has been nice having the pool for the summer but the children are not getting the Bible as much as they need to be. I'm thankful we have been able to continue on without too many disruptions but without transportation we have lost some children. The desire of my heart is to see more people accept Jesus in their heart and then live a life of surrender to Him. This is the life I saw in my parents and this is life I want people to see in me. I want the children and teens who come on Tuesday night to desire to be in church not just on Tuesday nights but also on Sundays. I desire for the parents of the children to have the desire to come into relationship with God. I desire for the ones who already believe in Him to go deeper in their faith. The Lord took me to Psalm 147 this morning. It talks about how we need to praise God because He is so amazing. David wrote about how we go through times in life that are trying. Matthew Henry writes:

Clouds look dull and melancholy, yet without them we could have no rain, therefore no fruit. Thus afflictions look black and unpleasant; but from clouds of affliction come showers that make the soul to yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness. 

If the desire of my heart is to be in full relationship with Him, then I must lean stronger into Him during times such as this with Doc's cancer. I cannot allow the enemy to tear the ministry God has called me to apart. Instead, I need to continue to seek God's will and keep moving forward. That will be the only way fruit will be seen. That will be the only way lives will be changed. Some days it seems like we go two steps forward to take three steps back but God is in control. He knows what will happen in the days ahead. He always wins! I must remember that! In order to remember that, I must stand upon II Timothy 1:7 so I can be empowered by His Holy Spirit.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the life my Daddy and Momma gave me with You as my foundation! Thank You for the lives You put into my life to share Your love with! Thank You for the way You are going to continue using me to love on others! Father, the only way for that to happen is for a cleansing in my spirit. Cleanse me so You can fill me with more of Your Holy Spirit. Use me in whatever manner You so desire so more people will come into relationship with You. Father, You know the desires of my heart already but I need to speak them to You this morning. I pray for Doc as he continues to struggle with the effects of the chemo and the 'what ifs' that come into his mind. I pray for our Tuesday night children and teen group to have someone who will drive the church van so we can get back to our regular activities. I pray for finances and someone to replace the brakes on the van. Lord, I pray for the 'back-to-school' service tomorrow to be exactly what You desire. I don't know if any children/teens will be there or not but I pray they will be. I don't know if any parents will be there or not but I pray they will be. No matter who walks in the door, I pray You will use my words to make a difference in their spiritual life. I pray You will be with me as I fine-tune the sermon You have given me. Lord, bless our efforts in all we do to change lives. I pray today will not only be a day of finishing things for tomorrow but a day where we can have time together as a couple. These days are so hard but we are thankful You are taking us deeper into relationship with You through them. Thank You Jesus for being Our Foundation! Amen.

No comments: