Monday, August 26, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 89 - "Confidence"


The Lord took me to Psalm 89 this morning. This Psalm speaks of the promises God made to David. These promises are for all of those who are in right relationship with Him. Verses nineteen through thirty-seven read:

A long time ago you spoke in a vision,
    you spoke to your faithful beloved:
“I’ve crowned a hero,
    I chose the best I could find;
I found David, my servant,
    poured holy oil on his head,
And I’ll keep my hand steadily on him,
    yes, I’ll stick with him through thick and thin.
No enemy will get the best of him,
    no scoundrel will do him in.
I’ll weed out all who oppose him,
    I’ll clean out all who hate him.
I’m with him for good and I’ll love him forever;
    I’ve set him on high—he’s riding high!
I’ve put Ocean in his one hand, River in the other;
    he’ll call out, ‘Oh, my Father—my God, my Rock of Salvation!’
Yes, I’m setting him apart as the First of the royal line,
    High King over all of earth’s kings.
I’ll preserve him eternally in my love,
    I’ll faithfully do all I so solemnly promised.
I’ll guarantee his family tree
    and underwrite his rule.
If his children refuse to do what I tell them,
    if they refuse to walk in the way I show them,
If they spit on the directions I give them
    and tear up the rules I post for them—
I’ll rub their faces in the dirt of their rebellion
    and make them face the music.
But I’ll never throw them out,
    never abandon or disown them.
Do you think I’d withdraw my holy promise?
    or take back words I’d already spoken?
I’ve given my word, my whole and holy word;
    do you think I would lie to David?
His family tree is here for good,
    his sovereignty as sure as the sun,
Dependable as the phases of the moon,
    inescapable as weather.”


These blessings upon David were described by God. They were placed on David by God because David was 'a man after His heart.' Therefore, when we walk in such a manner we will also receive His blessings. David received blessings of...

  • help
  • exaltation
  • being chosen
  • anointing
  • security
  • God's strength
  • protection
  • vindication
  • faithfulness and mercy
  • exalted strength

Why would anyone not accept the blessings God has in store for them? It all comes down to selfishness. Many do not want to accept Him into their heart because they are afraid of the changes that will happen in their life. They are afraid they will lose friends or be ridiculed. Even those who accept Him into their heart fear if they take the next step into sanctification, they will lose control over their life. Oh how I wish people would realize they don't have control, they just think they do. When we die to self, God works in and through us. All we have to do is stand upon II Timothy 1:7 and allow Him to work in and through us. We do not have to even fear physical death. Verse forty-eight tells us that all will die. We have the choice to make on where we will spend eternity. When we go before Him on Judgement Day, all will answer for themselves. I don't think we will just answer for the wrong we did but we also will answer for opportunities put before us that we missed. It is imperative to repent every day so God can cleanse us. It is only then He will be able to fill us with His Holy Spirit. That is the life He desires for us. As we live such a life, we will bless Him. David went through crisis but he was God's servant. He loved God and blessed Him throughout his life. There were times of disappointment for God but David was restored. This encourages my heart. I know I fall short of what God desires of me but I also know He loves me, forgives me, and accepts me into His arms at all time. The last verse of this chapter says it all. No matter what I go through I will praise Him because He is My Heavenly Father. Praise the Lord forever! Amen and amen! (NLT).

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for answered prayer yesterday! Thank You for Doc being able to preach! Thank You for rest! Thank You for our phone call with Miss Bella for her first day in her new school! Lord, may You cleanse me so You can fill me today in a new, different way. May You shine brightly through my words, actions, and attitude. Lord, I pray for Doc as he continues his fight with pancreatic cancer;  many who are dealing with serious situations in their lives to lean more into You; strength for the young wife/mother who has her husband deployed to the Middle East this week; protection over all military; couples whose marriage is falling apart to seek Your will before they seek divorce; protection over some children who are in some volatile situations; two friends who are seeking employment; my pastor friend who is out of the pulpit to have Your will revealed; and for all who are feeling down to be filled with Your peace. Thank You for being My Confidence! Amen.

No comments: