Sunday, September 20, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, 4:12 - "There Will Be A Day"

Yesterday was such a blessing. I could not have planned a more perfect Celebration of Life for my honey. Both the service in South Carolina and the one in Ohio celebrated his life. I am so grateful for everyone that was instrumental in making them exactly what I had pictured them to be. I am so grateful for the words that were spoken, songs that were sung, people who were there, etc. I have so much to be grateful for. I had thought about Rosh Hashanah and then when Ben mentioned it I was so blessed. This is a new season for me. I may not have chosen this season but God will show me how to not only get through it but glorify Him on my journey. He will guide me as I allow Him. He will speak and I will listen so I can continue to walk in obedience to Him. There are so many unknowns but He has already taken care of some of them. I know He will reveal to me what I need to know in the right time. In Doc's final hours, I took this picture. I wanted it to have a visual of him always holding onto me. I desire to live a life not only that glorifies God but one Doc would be proud of himself.

The season of cancer is over. Praise His Holy Name there is no more pain. A young man who was part of our life as a young teen through his early twenties sent me a song by Jeremy Camp called "There Will Be A Day" this morning. 

There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears
There will be a day when the burdens of this place,
Will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face
But until that day, we'll hold on to you always

Doc fought hard through his battle with pancreatic cancer. When the cancer spread to the spine and bones, his body became so weak. After the stroke hit, he only fought for another forty-eight hours before he took his final breath. The season with the cancer was the toughest season we had ever been in. It was a season I would not wish on anyone. I am so grateful for the way it took us deeper in our faith and gave us His wisdom to make some decisions ahead of time. Hospice, cremation, the two services, me staying in Beaufort...all of these were decisions already made. I am so grateful we made them together just as we always did with God directing us. I was reminded this morning of Ecclesiastes 4:12. A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. Three. God, Doc, and myself. All three were brought together in marriage thirty-one years ago this coming Wednesday. Even though Doc is no longer on this earth he is still my husband. I not only have God's strength but I have Doc's strength. This new season will take some time to adjust to. I may never really adjust to it but I know God is with me guiding me through it. He is with me to give me His strength, wisdom, and empowerment as I continue to stand upon II Timothy 1:7. I pray for people to love on me with His love. I pray they will show me His grace and mercy as I may not 'do' things in the timing they think I should, the way they think I should, etc. I am going to continue seeking more of the Lord so I can continue to stay focused on what He desires of me. He is the Only One I desire to please. His Word tells me in Colossians 3:23 in the New Living Translation Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. I know when we try to please people our focus goes off of God and I sure do not want that to happen in my life. I pray for all pastors to remember today and the days ahead.

Dear Jesus

Thank You for the blessings of yesterday! Thank You for all who participated in the service both in coming and in speaking/singing! Thank You for my boys who loved on me so well! I am so proud of the men You have given me in them. Adam, Paul, and Ben are gifts from You that bless me in abundance. Thank You for friends and family who continue to love me on this journey! Lord, I was so moved by the words spoken. When WPD Chief Chaffins shared they had flown the flags at half mast for Doc, the tears flowed. When he presented me with the flag, I was touched. WPD meant the world to Doc. He was able to minister to them in ways he could not do anywhere else. What a blessing they were to him! Pastor Sam traveling from South Carolina showed support from my district family that meant so much. Ben, Craig, and James shared things no one else had experienced with Doc. What a legacy Doc left through all of those who have become pastors. Adam singing for his Daddy was such a tribute to Doc. Kathy and Nate led the service with music that touched my heart. The service was a perfect way to show what Doc meant to all of us. The Holy Spirit being present was the icing on the cake! Thank You for making it possible for the slideshow Will and Sandy worked on so hard to be showed! Thank You for the Wooster Church of the Nazarene that loved on us in so many ways including the meal after the service! I was especially blessed by Your love shown to me by Judy Fitzpatrick. She made sure when I needed water I had it and checked on me regularly. What a servant's heart! Thank You for Aaron who shared There Will Be A Day with me this morning! Once again Lord You have showed my tribe to me. Lord, help me to stay focused on You so I can continue to walk in obedience to Your will. Cleanse me so You can do this. May You be my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts in a mighty way throughout the day ahead. This new season may not always be easy but I know easy is not where my faith goes deeper. Easy is not where I will grow in You. May You be greater than anything in the days ahead that will try to take my focus from You. I pray You will also ease the physical pain I am experiencing in my body today. May You also be very real to the family who lost loved ones in the horrific accident yesterday off the McTeer Bridge. Be with pastors as they go into the pulpit today and may they remember You are the Only One they are to focus on. Thank You Jesus for being Season Creator! Amen.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

My deepest condolences, Sheila.

My Strength said...

Thank you Sandi!