Wednesday, May 20, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 57 - "Your Love Oh Lord"


The Lord took me to Psalm 57 this morning. This Psalm was written about a time in David's life where he chose to pray as he waiting for God to end a trial he was experiencing. Saul had been after him and in this Psalm David had an opportunity to take Saul out. David's men were tired of running and begged David to end it when Saul came into the same cave they were in. Instead David prayed and told his men he was not going to take Saul out. We see David putting his trust in God in the first verse of this Psalm. 

Please, God, show me mercy!
Open your grace-fountain for me,
for you are my soul’s true shelter.
I will hide beneath the shadow of your embrace,
under the wings of your cherubim,
until this terrible trouble is past (TPT).


David knew God would continue to protect him from Saul as he leaned into Him. He knew he was safe in the shelter of God's wings just as a baby bird is safe in the shelter of their mother's wings when a storm comes. I read something this morning that spoke volumes to me.

Even this trial of yours is part of God’s purpose for you. It’s one of the “all things” that he performs for you. Trials are not outside of God’s control. They are tools in God’s hands to make you more like his Son.

Wow! These words reiterate something I already knew but can easily forget when the walls come crushing in. God is still in control. I cannot allow the enemy to convince me otherwise. I must continue to stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in the empowerment of the Holy Spirit so the enemy has no open door into my life. I must not try to manipulate circumstances but instead take safety in the Lord. God will continue to be faithful in protecting me. He will continue to pour out His love and mercy over me as I allow Him. He will guide me through the trials of life as He sees fit. He knows me and knows what I need before I even need it. The trials on this earth are only temporary. Sometimes He takes the trials away and sometimes He removes people from this earth to end the trials. What a glorious day it will be when we no longer have to deal with trials! Woo hoo! Verse five shows David glorifying God through his trial. That is exactly what I need to do when going through trials. 

Lord God, be exalted as you soar throughout the heavens.
May your shining glory be seen in the skies!
Let it be seen high above over all the earth! (TPT)

Yes! When we glorify God, it takes our eyes off our circumstances. As we praise Him, He fills our spiritual tank back up. We have a better attitude when we are praising Him than we are lamenting. A good attitude throughout a trial makes for an easier time in dealing with it. Instead of complaining as we wait for a trial to end we are grateful to have the Lord with us. People will see how we handle trials with His peace and be in awe of Him. They will desire that same peace. When we have a 'bad' attitude through a trial, God cannot be glorified. As we wait for God to end our trial, we need to remember that He will end it in His time. That is not always easy to accept but it is a must. We must never try to manipulate our circumstances but instead rest in the knowledge God is in control no matter what happens. David chose to sing praises to God as he waited for God to take out his enemy. I love the word picture verses ten and eleven give.

Your love is so extravagant it reaches to the heavens,
Your faithfulness so astonishing it stretches to the sky!
11 Lord God, be exalted as you soar throughout the heavens.
May your shining glory be shown in the skies!
Let it be seen high above all the earth!

Yes! Lord, be glorified through the trials I am in the midst of! His love and faithfulness will be great over me as I wait. I am reminded of lyrics to a song Third Day sings called Your Love Oh Lord...

Your love, oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains
Your justice flows like the ocean's tide
I will lift my voice
To worship You, my King
I will find my strength
In the shadow of your wings

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love! Thank You for protecting me under Your wings as I wait for the trials I am in the midst of to end! Thank You being greater than these trials today! Father, I pray for an abundance of Your physical, mental, emotional, and especially spiritual strength to be with Doc today as he goes for chemo. Father, may You be greater than the C in his pancreas. May You shelter him under Your wings as he waits for You to end this trial of life. Lord, I also pray for June, my two friends who are dealing with pain, my friend dealing with cancer, Kandi, Jack and Paula, Deanna, Craig, Vance, David and Gwen, Lisa, Mike, Linda, Joanne, Norma, Brenda, Melanie, and so many others who are going through trials right now. May You be greater than their trials. May we all lean into Your strength as we wait for You to end them. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of Your Holy Spirit. Empower me to stand in You today and to praise You no matter what happens throughout this day. Thank You Jesus for being My Protection! Amen.

No comments: