Tuesday, May 5, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 150 - "Alive & Breathing"


This picture is a happy memory of spending the evening with our dear friends Bill and Marlene. It was the first time they came down to see us. Doc was healthy and we were doing 'normal' things. I miss those days. I miss the days of walking along the waterfront or going out to the beach. I miss eating 'normal' meals and not seeing him in pain. Sometimes I find myself asking God 'why?' but then He quickly reminds me that I am not to always know the answer to such questions. What would be His purpose for one of His servants to be in such pain? What would be the reason He would allow people to die from such agony? Why would He allow children to die such as the Amish family who lost five last week when their buggy was overtaken by water? So many 'whys' yet God is the Only One with the answers. Last night as I was in intense pain with my back I once again asked God 'why?' No answer. Does that mean He isn't listening to me? When I continue to ask for a healing in Doc's body from the pancreatic cancer and it hasn't happened, does it mean He isn't listening? I praise His Holy Name that I know He always hears my prayers. He may not answer them in the timing or the way I desire but He always answers them. I just have to continue to stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in knowing He will empower me through whatever lies ahead. He will give me His wisdom to make decisions that need made. He also will love on me in the way I need so I in turn can love on others. I enjoyed seeing Doc do the commercial for Sunday. That was something he hasn't done in a long time. Sunday night seeing him enjoy a meal was another thing I haven't seen in a long time. These are gifts God has given us during these 'tough' days. I praise Him for them. I also praise Him for another day of life that is ahead for us together. It is hard to believe it will be a year on Saturday since his diagnosis. Only 18% of people make it this long. I praise God for him still being with me. I'm reminded of what Doc says, "As long as there is breath, there is hope." Yes! Praise God for being our Hope! This morning words to Alive & Breathing come to my mind...

Seek and you will find 
Joy still comes in the morning 
Hope still walks with the hurting 
If you're still alive and breathing 
Praise the Lord 
Don't stop dancing and dreaming 
There's still good news worth repeating 

This song speaks volumes to me. We must continue to praise God throughout these days. We must not stop doing 'normal' things. Some days are harder than others but we cannot stop. Matt Maher wrote of this song:

“You know, there are moments in life I think where you hit pause because you feel like you’re about to start a new season and you don’t know what’s next. Sometimes you get frozen and this song in some ways is a prayer that unfroze me. It was a reminder from God that if you still have breath in your lungs and you’re still on this side of heaven, then the best way to move forward is to praise God. Praise isn’t something that we do to avoid our problems. Praise is the way through our problems. The Hebrew word for praise has seven different definitions and I think it’s because the writer wanted Psalm 150 not just to mean one specific context, but it’s the culmination of every kind of praise or his praise in the valley. Praise on the mountaintop, praise in the great place, and praise in the hard place.”

Wow! Praise is the way through our problems. Psalm 150 reads in the New Living Translation:
Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
    praise him in his mighty heaven!
Praise him for his mighty works;
    praise his unequaled greatness!
Praise him with a blast of the ram’s horn;
    praise him with the lyre and harp!
Praise him with the tambourine and dancing;
    praise him with strings and flutes!
Praise him with a clash of cymbals;
    praise him with loud clanging cymbals.
Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord!
Praise the Lord!
Yes! I will praise the Lord throughout this day in a more intentional way than ever before! I will praise Him through whatever is ahead. I will praise Him because He empowers me to live for Him. I will praise Him because He loves me greatly and I desire others to see His love. Oh how I pray people see Him through me. I pray they see His strength ooze out of me during the days we are living.

Dear Jesus, 
Thank You for loving me so greatly that You never give up on me! Thank You for nine hours of rest! Thank You for being with Doc in the day ahead! I pray for healing to come down upon him in a mighty way. I also pray for healing in my back. Thank You for the pain being less this morning! Lord, be with our dear friends Kim and Carl as he is having a heart cath. I loved what You shared with me as I prayed for him earlier that there was going to be a miracle for them to testify about. Woo hoo! I can't wait to hear their testimony! Lord, there are so many hurting people that need to come into relationship with You. There are so many people in turmoil for so many different reasons. May You be their Peace. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You ooze out of me today in a great way! May You be seen/heard through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. Thank You Jesus for being The One We Praise! Amen.

No comments: