Friday, May 15, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 17; I Thessalonians 5:16-18; Joshua 1:9 - "Give Me Faith"


The Lord took me to Psalm 17 for the second time this week. As I read it again in different passages I thought I must have missed something the other day. Or maybe I just needed to have something emphasized to me. Whatever the reason is I am going to dig into it again this morning. God is so good and starting my days off with exactly what I need to give me the gumption to get moving, something I will experience in the day, or something to share with someone who needs to hear what He gives me. This Psalm is a prayer of David. The first seven verses show how David talked with God about their relationship. He reminded God of his faith in knowing God heard his prayers. Matthew Henry wrote, "Feigned prayers are fruitless; but if our hearts lead our prayers, God will meet them with his favour." It takes living in relationship with Him to know our prayers are heard. Prayer is conversation with God. It can happen even when one is in a crowd of people. I have conversations throughout the day with Him. Some are spoken out loud while others are silent. I know He not only hears my prayers but He answers them. I strive to live out Paul's words in I Thessalonians 5:16-18. It reads in the New International Version:

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

If I were to have written these words, I might have changed them around to read: "When you strive to live in God's will, He will empower you to rejoice and be thankful no matter what you are going through." It is in His will that I am empowered. As I strive to live out II Timothy 1:7, He empowers me to stand firm in my faith through these 'tough' days with the cancer in Doc's pancreas. I rejoice every day of life we have together. I continue to pray for his healing while on this earth to happen sooner than later. I thank God for the times we have of him feeling 'good' and able to make memories but I also thank Him for the strength He provides both of us for the days of just laying and watching TV, talking, praying, etc. When we pray for His will, we have to be ready to live it out. I have prayed with many distraught parents over their children, people waiting on someone in a surgery with unknown consequences, families waiting to hear the outcome of a tragic accident, etc. I tell people when they pray for 'His will' they must be ready to accept it and live it out. His will is not always what we, as humans, would choose. His will may be hard to accept for some but for those who know Him it makes it easier. His will is always what is best for all involved. HIs will is for all to spend eternity with Him in heaven. We all have choices to make every day we are on this earth to either live in His will or not. I desire to live in His will. It is there I found comfort and peace in the midst of the storms of life. I know He hears my prayers and I also know He answers them. As I pray for His will, I must be ready to accept whatever that entails. No matter what happens I am assured He has His best interests for me. I am feeling weak in many areas of my life these days but I am thankful God is my strength. I am reminded of the words of Give Me Faith this morning that Elevation Worship sings...

Give me faith to trust what You say
That You're good and Your love is great
I'm broken inside, I give You my life

I may be weak but Your Spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail, but my God, You never will

Praise His Holy Name for all the ways He strengthens me. Every morning when He gives me Scripture and a song I am encouraged. They start my day off feeling strong in Him. These days as I watch Doc in pain I become weak in my emotions yet God is there wrapping His arms around me loving on me. That strengthens me. He puts people in my path that encourage me when I feel like I am falling apart. I was so thankful for the conversation with our neighbor Bill last night. God knew exactly what I needed to hear and provided. Praise His Holy Name! He never fails to provide because He knows exactly what I need.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving us so much! Thank You for being with us yesterday when Doc wasn't having a typical day after chemo! Thank You for giving him strength! Thank You for our time of having a meal at the table! Lord, You already know my prayer for Him. May Your will be that he is healed on this earth, sooner than later. Your will Father is what we are focused on. Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me today to overflowing with more of You. May the empowerment of the Holy Spirit be so great upon me that You ooze out of me in a way that will make people desire to have more of You. May I remember Your words to Joshua when You called him to lead the Israelites. "Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Praise Your Holy Name that I know You are with us on the mountaintops and in the valleys! Lord, this morning I continue to pray for: Dick who is recuperating from knee replacement; Brenda who had complications from surgery; my friend who had a procedure yesterday; Erica and her family and the Isenhart family as they prepare for services tomorrow for their loved ones; those who lost income due to the coronavirus; families struggling to put food on the table; and so many people who are hurting. Lord, may You be greater than the situations they are in. May Your will be revealed to them and accepted. May hearts and lives be changed. Thank You Jesus for being My Strength! Amen.

No comments: